We have always called Leah our "sweet little tiny", because that's exactly what she is! She was 6 lbs 2 oz at birth, and yesterday, at her 18 month appointment, we learned that she is just shy of 20 pounds... okay, 13 ounces shy of it, but still! She is a sweet little tiny! According to the charts, she is at about the negative 10th percentile (if that were a real thing). She is is 31 inches tall, which puts her in about the 40th percentile there, and her head circumference is in the 25th percentile.
I think she makes a pretty cute little package, but you know how doctors are. I was grilled on whether or not she is eating and ways to get some fat in her bones (apparently at this stage in her growth, she is building some essential nervous system padding that is made out of fat).
His solution?
Bring on the fat! We have stocked up on milk, yogurt, cheese, and ice cream (doctors orders!) and Leah is in heaven. She's eaten 12 Mickey Mouse shaped cheese slices in the last 24 hours, and (sorry for any non-moms that are reading this) I am really not looking forward to her first attempt at processing all of these dairy products. So, we've also stocked up on high fiber cereals, juice, and fruits.
The doctor recommended that we bring her in for a weight check in three months, and if there's not major improvement, they will want to test her thyroid and such. (In case you don't already know my feelings about the world assuming that everyone should be overweight, click here.) I am not worried at all. She's just my sweet little tiny!
In other check-up news, the doctor felt that Leah's vocabulary skills are about that of an average 2-to 2 1/2- year-old. Having never been the mom of a child before, it's been hard to gage her progress, but it was fun to hear that she is excelling verbally. (I had a feeling, but you never know the first time around!) And what should we do with that information, I ask? Just enjoy it for now. I'm sure she'll be sassing us before we know it.
The doctor also asked if she is stacking blocks well. I was a little flustered when I realized that, no, she's not, but that's because she spends all of her time trying to fit keys into locks, plugs into outlets (with very close supervision!), and snapping buckles into place. I think she's doing alright.
And at the end of a long day, Leah took a glorious 2 hour nap... in my bed! (very unusual around here)
Editors note: I had to laugh as I watched the video. We pulled the blocks out this morning to help Leah practice stacking them, but got much more excited and pulled out the camera once she started naming the animals inside each one. No wonder she doesn't know how to stack blocks! Blame Mom and Dad!
9 comments:
I am glad you are not worried! those doctors get annoying sometimes believing that there really is a 'normal.' she is just so darn cute and so smart!
I love your sweet little tiny!Lucky girl for Leah to get stocked up on ice cream and goods. You should get some treatment too for being such good parents! :) Leah is a smarty pants!
I love seeing the little newborn picture of Leah and looking at her now. What a smart girl! It is so much fun to listen to her talk.
So many kids these days are just like her and they are perfectly fine too. My sister goes through the same thing each time with each kid. she has 4! I on the other hand have a large boy and a normal size. We are all shapes and sizes. Your sweet little tiny, is just right!!
It's nice to have a small genius in the fam, you're so blessed. Who doesn't want a sweet petite little tiny. That's a cute nickname.
I love your sweet little tiny! She makes nursery a bazillion times better than it already is! :)
I'm also glad you're not worried about what the doctors said. She is who she is! I've seen her eat...and that isn't the problem! She's just...like you said...tiny!
Ha ha! Good luck with the extra dairy; I loved that she gets Mickey Mouse shaped slices--so fun! And I also don't think you have to worry about her size. I was a 6 pounder, too, and I have been healthy my whole life. I think she's super bright. One of my favorite things was when we had singing time in nursery--her face and expressions were priceless!
Hi Melanie, I just love your blog! Okay so Leah is a doll, I don't think she could be any more loved than she is. Luke our 4 yr old is very thin and super tall so I asked how to fatten him up and they told me balogni and whole milk. Also lots of carbs like bread and pretzels etc. So he gets lots of hershey syrup whole milk blends!!! The fats in those foods help with the nervous system development and brain development. Anyways just a suggestion, she is a perfect little package!!!
Post a Comment