Background: I had an induction date set for this Wednesday (the 22nd) because I had been dilated with no contractions for my last 3 doctor's appointments. So I knew we weren't going to get all the way to the 30th, thank goodness. In an effort to speed things up on my own, I started walking two or three times a day.
Friday morning, 8:30 AM- I put Leah in the stroller and we walked up to the State Hospital, where there are always deer hanging out in the orchard. That morning, we saw a family of four- a mom, dad, big sister and little brother, I'm sure. I should have taken it as a sign!
1:15 PM- I wake up from my nap with the baby was crashing into my pelvic bones, and it hurt! He was always really active, but this really hurt. I might have actually given him his first talking to- "If you're ready to come out, feel free, but let's do it the right way!"
I call my mom just to complain about how much it hurt.
1:30- Leah wakes up from her nap and asks to watch a movie. I say yes, and she is blissfully unaware of the chaos that is about to ensue.
1:45- I keep going to the bathroom and finally realize that my water has broken. No contractions, but the nurse at the hospital says I need to come in right now (remember, I'm hoping for a VBAC, which is considered a high risk labor). I get online and tell Jason to get home right now. He turns in the last revisions to his Master's thesis and hops on a bus. I pack up our bags and do the dishes.
2:30- Jason gets home at the same time my sister comes to take Leah to Grandma's house. I've started feeling the occasional contraction, but nothing I can't talk through. I know I've got a long way to go, but I think, "Hey! Maybe we're going to have a baby tonight!"
Last picture as a family of 3!
3:00- Jason and I head to the hospital.
3:30- We've been put in a room, but no one has come to see us yet. The contractions are more noticeable now, coming about every 8 minutes.
4:05- A nurse comes in, declares I'm at a 5 (where I was at my last appointment two days ago) and starts asking questions about epidurals, VBACs, and insurance.
4:15- The nurse has left, and things change. I'm not feeling chatty anymore.
4:30- Nurse returns with the doctor and anesthesiologist. I get the epidural and immediately feel the urge to push. The doctor thinks it's still much too early, but checks me anyway, and quickly tells the nurse to get everything ready. I realize it's really happening when he puts on his catching gloves and splash guard smock-thing.
5:00- I start pushing. The epidural has not taken, and I'm feeling every bit of pain. Just let the epidural kick in, I'm thinking, and then I can do this!
5:15- Okay, an epidural is not going part of the equation of this birth. The doctor says I need to push through 4 more contractions, and by some miracle, I did it.
12 comments:
Yay Melanie!! You did it- you could totally be an Oregon hippy now. Congrats, he is beautiful, I absolutely love the name Adam, it's strong and handsome. Your VBAC sounds amazing, quick labor is the best labor!!
Wow! I hope I can be so lucky! (speed-wise, of course... I would prefer the epidural to be fully functioning...) Congratulations again! He's beautiful!
wow, i am so proud of you. it couldn't have gone better. let me know when i can come over..
Ohmygosh you are my hero!! I don't know if I can ever do it, first without an epidural working and second, so quickly! yay!!! congrats, he is beautiful :)
Wow, that is so fast! He is simply adorable, yay ;)
YAY MELANIE! I'm so happy that you had a successful VBAC!
You go girl! You did beautifully. I'm not even trying for an epidural next time because it can be a terribly emotional let down when it doesn't work. But you survived! Yay! And it was so fast.
you rock, melanie! i'm happy to hear your labor went smoothly and that you were able to have a VBAC. quick labors are the best. i would always prefer a quick labor without epidural- that's how it was with hyrum. i hope you are adjusting to life with two kids. adam is a little prince. he's precious. take care.
YEAH!! I'm so glad that you were able to have a successful VBAC!! It sounds like you did absolutely amazing! Congrats!
Great job Melanie! That was a quick labor! Glad you made it in time! He's a cutie!
Congrats you guys!!! He's perfect! Good job on the VBAC Melanie, I knew it would work out. Keep posting pictures of the little man, I love it!
Funny, I told you I looked up your labor story--but I must not have gotten far back enough to find it, since I don't remember it! :) I remember my epidural helping until the pushing, but the pushing itself hurt like crazy... even tho I didn't feel the "urge to push". Maybe that's why it took so long. Anyways, your experience sounds ideal! Here's hoping for this time! :)
Post a Comment