Monday, May 14, 2012

The Best Part

Every night when we are putting the kids to bed, we lay down with them to snuggle for a few minutes.  Even though there are always a hundred other "have-to-do's" waiting downstairs, I like to use this time to whisper sweet secrets in their ears and fill up their little love cups one more time before the day is over. 
I say things like, "I'm so glad you're in our family" or "I l thought you were brave for touching that frog today" or "Emma is lucky to have a funny big brother like you" and then ask the kids what the best part of their day was.  It gives me a chance to hear about their days, to smooth over any bumpy moments we had, and to send them off to dreamland thinking happy thoughts. 
I think they are quite used to the routine- as soon as I laid down with Adam tonight, he said, "My favorite part was going to the zoo".  Well, that happened 2 days ago, but it must have left a big impression on his little mind.  Then I asked him if he would go to Leah's preschool picnic with me tomorrow.  He replied, "I would... because I love you, Mama!"
The best part of my day comes early- when the sun is streaming in through our bathroom window and I am snuggling in bed with Emma.  Jason is getting ready for school, and Leah and Adam wander- sometimes half-asleep, sometimes at full gallop- into the bedroom.  Some days they snuggle up in bed with us, some days they head out to the toy room, but I love that we all get to start our mornings off together.  The craziness doesn't usually start until my feet hit the floor... all the more reason to stay in bed a little longer (when I can!).

1 comment:

whitney said...

Ahhh, you're such a good mom! I love those early-morning and pre-bed snuggles too :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...