Monday, November 1, 2010

In Which We Are Officially The World's Worst Parents

We don't have a ton of traditions in our little family that I feel a slave to, but one thing that I really enjoy doing is taking a family trip to the pumpkin patch every year.  We scouted out the perfect one last year, and I was excited to take the kids back this year.  Although we had a rocky start, I was confident that the kids would get into the spirit of the patch once they saw the straw maze, pony rides and adorable little train. 
I was wrong.

It was cold and windy, and I was having a true parenting moment ("I just spent all this money on tickets so you could go on the rides.  You're going to go on the rides and you're going to like it!").  We didn't realize it yet, but Leah was getting sick.  We put her in the warmed up car where she promptly fell asleep.  Then the rest of us headed back across the yard- yes, yard, we take what we can get here in Indiana- to enjoy the rest of the patch. 
We didn't get our yearly pictures by the pumpkins, but that's okay.  I'm slowly learning that as a parent, there are some things that you just have to let go of. 

4 comments:

Amy said...

Melanie, I'm so glad you dropped by my blog so that I would be reminded to drop by yours--it's been too long! I've loved looking through your recent posts and I really appreciate your honest and heartfelt thoughts. You've said a lot of things that I've been feeling lately but haven't really been able to find the words for. Makes me wish we were living near each other again! You are lovely!

Erica said...

oh..i totally feel you on that one. sometimes you just want to MAKE them do whatever it is!

p.s. i love the hat- brooklyn has the same one :)

beapinkal said...

i still love Adam's hat:)

whitney said...

We definitely all have those moments. Heaven knows the holidays are FULL of them, it seems.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...