Fireflies.
I grew up catching fireflies, and as soon as I saw them lighting up the backyard, I couldn't wait to show Leah.
And she loved them. She was completely entranced by the concept of a friendly bug who "light up their bums so they can see each other".
She discovered the fireflies on the same day she was stung on the hand by a wasp. Her faith in friendly bugs has been restored.
Sunday, June 13, 2010
Fireflies
I have put up with more than my fair share of bugs since we've moved here. It seems they come in cycles- starting with the ladybugs in the fall. I was so shocked by the shear quantity of them I actually took a picture.
Then it's the slab ants looking for a place to stay warm in the winter. And the giant red-eyed flies that are so lazy you can swat them out of midair and knock them dead. Most recently we've dealt with HUGE flying ants, and finally, something I can write home about.
I think I heard "Fireflies are So. Amazing, Mom." about 50 times that night. And it has made dealing with all those other creepy-crawlies worth it. (I think)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh so sorry Leah got stung! Those things are just mean.
The fireflies have been beautiful! The first time I saw one was in Italy when I was 22 so they're kind of exotic to me:).
Post a Comment