Wednesday, June 2, 2010

A Mother's Nightmare

So... I got locked in my bedroom yesterday. Adam was with me, thank heaven, but Leah was on the other side of the door, also thank heaven. She ended up being the hero that rescued us.

The second floor of our house has a playroom type landing that houses all of our toys and play dates. I'm guessing this has always been the case, and that somewhere along the line, someone decided that the kids should be able to play in the playroom without making mischief in any of the bedrooms. So all of the rooms have little hook-type locks at the top of the doors.

Perfect if you want to keep people out.

Not so perfect if you somehow shut the door in such a way that the hook swings up and into the lock and traps you inside.

I was slightly amused and didn't really panic. Adam was with me, so there was no fear that he would tumble down the stairs (my No. 1 fear these days). Leah was on the other side of the door, confident she could help me open the door by banging on it with her plastic Handy Manny tools.I figured I could take the hinges off the door, and while the first one slipped right out, the second two obviously needed some help.

I tried to channel my inner MacGyver, but as it turns out, nail clippers and a hairbrush do NOT make very effective tools in a time of emergency. So, after realizing that I could call someone to come rescue me, I told Leah to go downstairs and get my phone.

This required dragging a kitchen chair, climbing up onto the counter and opening a cupboard, but Leah was all over it. She is part monkey these days. She hurried back upstairs and stuffed the phone under the door and I was able to call our next-door neighbors.

The same ones who have jumped our car more than once, who once picked Jason up from the side of the road because he was walking home from the farm, and who catch Leah whenever she decides to "Peter Rabbit" her way out of the yard. If there was any question before, they must now be confident that we are total idiots.

In just a few minutes, they were over and we were out. It was just so bizarre, but I kept thinking how thankful I was during the whole thing- thankful that Adam was with me, thankful that Leah wasn't, thankful that I knew where my phone was, thankful my neighbor was home... I think the Lord just knows I need all the help I can get!
*****
And these lovely pictures are compliments of Leah. She got a hold of the camera yesterday and amused herself while the rest of us finished dinner. Any guesses what these are pictures of?

4 comments:

Nathan and Sarah said...

How scary! Luckily you have a smart little girl! Glad everything worked out okay!

Julia and Aaron said...

Good job, Leah! That's awesome that it worked out so well. Those locks sound a little scary. Can you make any "improvements" to the house?

Kika VilaNova said...

wow, Leah saves the day! yay!
and I want to know what the pictures are of... :)

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Leah's pictures. She has mad skillz : ) I just saw your family pictures at a blog and came over to say how sweet your kids were. Adorable :) I am glad you were rescued! Good neighbors are priceless!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...