Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Trying New Things

Leah started swim lessons this week. So far, it has been a far cry from this experience (thankfully) but she is still uncertain about getting her swim dress or her hair wet. Apparently getting wet isn't what she had in mind when she signed up for the class.

Leah is such an observer. She needs to know ALL about something before she is willing to give it a try- the what, when, and why of it all. I am not exactly a risk taker, so I'm pretty sure I can guess where she got her cautious side from.

She told me yesterday before her class that she wasn't going to talk to anyone, "Not even my teacher". She isn't shy, necessarily, she just needs to know what to expect before she will try ANYTHING. I think that is okay.

But still, when I see her sitting on the sidelines, twirling her hair and refusing to participate, I want to step in and make her do it (whether IT might be twirling in dance class, getting her hair wet in swim class, or even just trying watermelon). I want her to trust me and know that I actually do know what I'm talking about!

But no, she has to try it herself after thoroughly examining the situation and deciding how she FEELS about it first. And I have to step back and let her go at her own pace. It's all about agency, right?I'm guessing this is going to be a lifelong lesson... for both of us.

3 comments:

whitney said...

Our children teach us so much, ya know? cliche, I know, but still true. I was looking at Leah's picture on your sidebar and just couldn't get over how beautiful she is.

christa said...

that first picture is AMAZING, seriously, it's stunning, i would totally get it blown up and put on canvas!

Julia and Aaron said...

I love that picture of her in front of the fountain and she looks really happy in her swim class! I think it's a success!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...