Monday, February 6, 2012

6 Months

I've probably said this several times before, but this time I really mean it- I cannot believe that Emma Grace is 6 months old already.  It seems like just yesterday that we were meeting her for the first time and getting used to having a new baby in our family.  After all the hard work I did to bring a new baby into our family, I've had a hard time admitting that she is, whether I like it or not, growing up.

She has suddenly decided she's ready to sit up, eat baby food (and anything else she can get her mouth on), push up on her arms, and take regularly scheduled naps.  It seems she's turning into a real baby... not nearly a newborn anymore.  Today she weighs 12 and a half pounds and is 24 inches long.  She now has an official mark on our new family growth chart. 

She is completely adored by all of us- Leah and Adam constantly question her whereabouts and race to greet her as soon as they hear a peep on the monitor.  I'm usually right behind them- I love those post-nap smiles and hugs.  Emma is quite happy to just watch all of the craziness going on around her, but she certainly loves all of the attention she gets as well.  With that soft little tuft of reddish-brown hair and her bright blue eyes and her huge smile, it doesn't take much to direct all of our attention to her.  She is such a happy, happy baby.  We are so blessed to have her sweet little spirit in our home.

2 comments:

Adrienne said...

Cute little girl! I can't believe it's been 6 months eaither. Love your little family.

You may not want my input on this (so totally ignore it if you want) but is Emma's head always cocked to one side? I ask this because Jane's was (torticollis) and I asked the pediatrician and he said it's no big deal until after 12 months but I wish he had just suggested I stretch it a bit because it's so much harder to stretch and straighten once they get older. Not hard to straighten, just easier when they're young. And I could be totally off so feel free to disregard my comment.

Love the pics. Keep em comin!

Adrienne said...

So we started with a neck x-ray to make sure the spine was fine. Then a trip to a neurologist to make sure everything else was fine. He determined it was just tight muscles that form because they fall into a certain position in the womb and they form that way. (this happens to 2% of babies i think). Next to a physical therapist who taught us a few exercises and things to do and we did them at home and followed up a couple times.

It was no fast process. It took us about 18 months of stretching (not super faithfully) to fix it.

The physical therapist said heat works well. Try to make her look in the direction that will stretch it (I was always confused by this one) and try to stretch it while sleeping. But by far the best thing was just to stretch it. We stretched it 3 times a day, 3 times, for 30 seconds (ideally).

I might read about it on google so you can see the muscles better. The main one goes from the ear to the front of the collar bone so it actually twists the head a bit, not just straight to the side.

Anyway, hope that helps. Good luck!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...