Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Home Again, Home Again Jiggety-Jog

Once Jason got back from Mexico, it was finally time to head home.  It was a 5 week trip, and I still wasn't ready to leave.  The drive home was somewhat doomed when we missed our first exit on our way back to Denver- an exit we've taken no less than 126 times before.  Two hours later Jason got a speeding ticket.  We spent the first night in Denver and had a great, but quick, visit with the Morales ladies.  The second night we had another fun hotel stay somewhere in Kansas, and the third day we stopped in St. Louis.  I have wanted to  see the Gateway Arch since I was a little girl, and it was just as amazing as I had hoped. 
Somewhere along the way, Jason got sick and rendered himself useless to driving for the second half of the trip.  We took a good loooong stop in St. Louis- I felt horrible dragging my sick husband all over the monument and it's underground museum/visitors center ("we're going to learn some history and we're going to like it!") but the kids needed time out of the car and I think Jason appreciated the fresh air... right, honey?  Really, it just took a few hours to convince myself that I was ready to get back behind the wheel for the final stretch of the trip.  
 The kids loved hearing about the pioneers and throwing stones into the Mississippi River ("where that boy floated down on those sticks!") and I am a complete sucker for American History (thank you, Ms. Racine, my high school history teacher), so it made for a perfect rest stop.
And then, a few hours, movies, and wrong turns that led us into the middle of cornfields later, we were home. I didn't get back into the car for two days, and you probably couldn't pay me enough money to make that drive again anytime soon.  But the trip itself was fantastic.  That part I would do again in a heartbeat.

2 comments:

Bea said...

ugh... sounds like you had a long trip back home. You know... you were amazing and brave to come and go back all the way to Indiana with three little kids. I'm already freaking out from our trip to the in laws soon... yuck:)

Julia and Aaron said...

I heard about the ticket last night! A policeman flew past us and Leah and we got to hear your story. I'm so sorry about that Jason getting so sick. I read your stories and think I could not have possibly handled that situation with so much grace! You do great!

I totally understand the sentiment about enjoying a trip but never ever wanting to do it again because of all the stress!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...