Thursday, January 13, 2011

Cheetah Girl

Miss Leah turned 4 in the midst of the craziness of the holidays.  I committed to myself 4 years ago to never let her birthday get lost in the mix, and so far I think we've done alright.  This year Leah requested a cheetah party.  As in a real cheetah- fast, spotted, carnivorous... Those were the guidelines I got for her party theme.
This is the picture she picked out for the template for her birthday cake.  I was starting to feel fairly confident in my cake decorating skills, but this is by far the saddest looking cake I have made to date.
She didn't seem to mind, although all of the girls scarfed down the cupcakes and left the cake fairly untouched.
 There was a total of 7 girls at the party, and judging by the level of quiet we enjoyed for the first 45 minutes, I think it might have been one of the first drop-off birthday parties many of them had ever been to.  They politely had their whiskers painted on, decorated their cheetah ears with jewels, and quietly followed us through Pin the Tail on the Cheetah and Turtle, Turtle, Cheetah.
They all got a little more warmed up once we sang Happy Birthday and choked down the cheetah cake (disclaimer: I finished it at 3 AM that morning!).
And then came the pinata, and we were in all-out birthday mode.  Jason made the cheetah pinata out of materials that 3- and 4-year-old girls could actually break open, and they had a great time doing it.
And that was that.  It was a great party- Leah was a gracious hostess and she and all of her friends were darling little cheetahs.  I always think the effort we put into birthday parties pays off, and this year was no exception.

Later that night we headed to Red Lobster for dinner, also per Leah's request.  We drove by the restaurant one day months ago and Leah said she wanted to go there, even though she had no idea what what inside or if it was even a restaurant.  I told her we could go there for her birthday, and the idea stuck. 
She was, of course, terrified of the lobsters, but had a delicious dinner of macaroni and cheese, and loved when the servers sang her "Happy Birthday".  It was the perfect end to a great birthday, and just the kind of dinner I wanted to serve with a 7:00 AM flight lined up for the next morning.

4 comments:

Erica said...

Looks like quite the birthday - what a good momma to have such a fun day planned amidst all the other craziness of that time of year!

p.s. i personally think your cake is cute - and you look great miss skinny minny!

christa said...

this is amazing! Eva is going to DIE when I show her that cake. we didn't do a friend party this year, it was our first time since she's been born. it was a little different for her at first but we had SO much fun as a family. If I thought a cheetah cake was even possible I would have attempted one for her...this is so great!! Leah and Eva are totally on the same wavelength.

Julia and Aaron said...

This was great! Lilly couldn't stop talking about "spotted tigers" the rest of the day:). She had a great time. Thank you!

I am very impressed with your cheetah cake. (You know how I would do it:) Haha. I'd have a regular rectangular cake and buy some plastic cheetahs to stick on top.) You did a great job!

We've tried to go to Red Lobster before but it's always been so busy we couldn't get past the waiting area! The kids loved watching the lobsters though.

Happy Birthday, Leah!!

whitney said...

Ahhh, what a cute mom you are! I'm impressed that you went with her (very difficult) requested theme and did it so smashingly!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...