Thursday, August 1, 2013
Just Life
Leah and Adam finished swim lessons today. The weather here has been so bizarre- we skipped the last two days because it was cloudy and in the 60's- not swimming weather! They had a great time today going down the slides and playing together, although neither of them is sad to see swim lessons end.
I've had some funny conversations with Adam lately. We were trekking up our 18 stairs to our second floor apartment today, and Adam stopped to say, "Mom- I'm exhausting.... I'm just so exhausting" I just smiled and (remembering the long morning of whining and tears over snatched toys) said, "Yes, yes you are."
While waiting to fall asleep tonight, Adam whispered loudly up to Leah, "Leah! Are you bored?"
Adam has a pretty bad habit of sneaking into our bed in the middle of the night. If I'm up for the struggle, I take him back to bed or tell him to get there on his own. If not, I just scoot over and make room for him, which makes for a miserable night's sleep for all three and a half of us in the bed. Yesterday I gave him a long and sincere lecture about the benefits of staying in his own bed all night long. When I was tucking him in for the night, he had plenty to say about the people that were going to "climb the walls and swoop into our apartment and sneak into his room in the night."
"Who is going to do this?" I asked.
"The google-ers!" he declared emphatically. "The google-ers are going to get me in the night."
That does sound pretty scary.
This view was my reward for getting up at 5:45 and taking a nice long walk the other morning. It was one of those nights when I just couldn't stay in bed any longer so I got up and I walked over to our house, which is only about a mile and a half from our apartment, talking to myself all the while and wishing for the days when I had a running/walking partner. For all of my fears about coming back to Iowa friendless, I have been having a great time getting to know new friends in our neighborhood, apartment complex, and church. There are so many kind people here- I feel like this could turn into home after all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment