Wednesday, March 19, 2014

The Wearin' O' The Green

I checked the blog for a reminder of what we did for St. Patrick's Day last year, and there is no record of it.  No pictures on my computer, either.  And the memories I have from what I thought was St. Patrick's Day last year are actually from 2012.  Granted, we were two weeks away from moving last St. Patrick's Day, but surely we did something?  I don't know.  I can't remember.  And that is just another testament to why I blog- I have a terrible memory.  I can easily recall the things that I've taken the time to write about over the years, but if it's not recorded, it's history.  As in, the memories fade pretty quickly.

So!  This one's for my future forgetful self.

St. Patrick's Day kicked off our spring break this year, and it was great!  The kids have started remembering small holiday traditions, and they were all really excited about the gold and the Lucky Charms that they knew were coming.  Leah even took it upon herself to wake her sleeping siblings up first thing in the morning to start the treasure hunt.
It wasn't even light outside yet.
Still, they were thrilled to find the treats.  Emma kept saying, "Dis is so awesome.  Dis is so much fun."  I love experiencing holidays and such for the first time again and again through the eyes of my children.
A very naughty little leprechaun delivered our annual box of Lucky Charms (a cereal I refuse to buy- I'd rather just buy a bag of marshmallows and call it good).
Adam was the first to discover this footprint mess and spent a solid 7 seconds taking it all in before calling out to his sisters to "Come look!"  The kids were equal parts excited and creeped out at the though of a leprechaun making mischief in our house while they slept.  (Which reminds me, Leah is still completely terrified of Cupid, just as she was 3 or 4 years ago.  That was the first thing she told me on Valentines Day morning this year.  Understandably- a lot of the holiday characters we teach our kids about are creepy- a bunny that lays eggs?  An old man that squeezes down your chimney?  A baby that flies and shoots people with arrows?  I get it.)  They all kept saying, "Wait till Daddy sees this!  He's going to be so mad!" which is just silly because everyone around here knows that Mommy is the one that would get mad about a mess like that.
And we made a fruit rainbow and and played "rescue the sea creatures" in the sink and danced around like leprechauns and colored noodles for necklaces and the kids were just so darn happy all day long.  It was a really fun day.  We had dinner with friends and all decided that corned beef is actually quite tasty.

Noah was around, too, but spent most of his day looking like this-
because he's got a cold that keeps him looking like this-
Poor little guy. Still, it was a fantastically fun St. Patrick's Day.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...