Wednesday, March 14, 2018

The Best Birthday Yet!

I think I say this every year, but I love my March birthday because it marks the turning of the seasons from winter to spring!  And this birthday felt like an exceptionally good one.  In the morning I found this thoughtful and carefully assembled gift hanging on my  wall- Mommy Dollars!
Each of the kids had a service and a price tag attached to it.  Such a thoughtful gift from my sweet babies.  I also got lots of birthday hugs, cards, and even a dollar and 13 cents from Emma!  It's hard for a mom to act selfishly, or inwardly, but my birthday is the one day of the year that everyone in our house seems to be extra aware of my presence, and I love it!  
We had a fun day celebrating together, but first I sent the kids off to school and enjoyed an indulgent birthday breakfast with my sweet neighbor friends, who also showered me with thoughtful gifts.  Noah and I took a great nap, and before long the kids were home and we were off to Des Moines for some fun!
We received an ice skating gift certificate from Allison and Spencer for Christmas, and we were running out of days to use it!  It was perfect weather- not to cold and not too busy for us to have some fun.
Jason and Adam are birds of a feather on the ice... it's not exactly their strong suit.  But I later heard that Jason told one of the kids, "I don't really like ice skating, but I like being with Mommy, so I'm happy to be here."  That pretty much sums up Jason in a nutshell.  He just wants to make me happy.
We had gold medals to hand out to everyone after a few rounds on the ice.
 Adam won the prize for most determined- he was covered in sweat and never gave up!
Leah got the best style, Noah received the best hot cocoa drinker award, and Emma was most improved.  She was a rock star on the ice!
We girls had fun pretending we were Olympic figure skaters.
It was a fun way to spend the afternoon together, enjoying one of the last truly chilly days of winter (I hope!). 
And then we were off to some tasty dinner at a local place before heading home for some presents and MUCH anticipated Milky Way cake!
We've been talking about this cake for weeks- the Fat Chair Challenge has changed our perspective on treats a bit, and this treat of the week was a highly anticipated one.  And it was delicious!  So delicious, in fact, that I served it up to the kids for breakfast the next morning and delivered a fourth of it to a friend so I wouldn't tempted to polish it off myself.
I got some beautiful borthday flowers from Jason and as a great surprise from my sweet friend Bea, I recieved phone calls and texts and emails and Facebook messages all day long, gifts from extra thoughtful friends and family and, as usual, way too many gifts from Jason.  We had a lot of fun playing with our new set of chimes before we sent everyone off to bed for the night. 
Happy birthday to me!  I felt very loved and spoiled on my birthday this year.  It's exciting to think of all that I experienced last year, and to look ahead to the next year with anticipation, accomplishment, and lots of love!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...