I'm not sure exactly how another year has gone by, but Adam is officially double digits now! And holy smokes I sure do like him at this age. But more on that in a bit- first up is a report of the big day! This year was an interesting one because, just like Leah's 10th birthday, Adam decided months ago that there was one big present that he would like to receive more than anything else. And, of course it was a LEGO set. But unlike Leah's 10th birthday request (an electric scooter) this present was out of the limits of our usual birthday budget. By a lot! So we had several conversations with Adam about what he wanted his birthday celebration to look like this year. Eventually he decided that he wanted to have a small party with his most favorite friends and would only ask his parents and grandparents for money toward the Big LEGO Set.
Oh, the calculating went on for weeks. Babysitting jobs and lawn mowing jobs were recorded, requests to grandparents were made, ideas for how to reduce the price were explored (LEGOs never go on sale, it seems!) and finally the big day way here.
I appreciated but was not surprised to find that Adam's expectations for his birthday were quite low. He had his eye set squarely on the prize and everything else that might happen this day were just a bonus to him.
A bit of Wii time with his brother to pass the time before the party-
The party plans were in place- all that Adam really wanted was a tub of cheese balls and some playtime with his friends! We chuckled over how cursed July 17th must be in Iowa weather. A great big storm cloud came rolling in just before his party was scheduled to start.
"It's a good thing I'm not having a pool party this year!"
Adam wanted a LEGO cake, and he was super helpful with making it the night before the party.
Not the prettiest cake I've ever made but we had fun doing it together.
And before long, it was party time! Luckily the four friends that Adam invited were all able to attend the party. He really wanted it to be low-key, with laser guns,
an air hockey tournament,
and a treasure hunt as the main activities. Jason even got to come to the party and carry the cake! That doesn't happen very often.
Two full hands! Sheesh!
Adam's friends were all very sweet and fun and generous, and it made me happy that he valued time with them over a few extra dollars in the LEGO set fund.
And once they left, the totaling began. We gave Adam his gift contribution totals from us and his grandparents, and combining that with his friends kind gifts he was ready to order the set. He sat down at the computer, loaded the set into the cart, and then I told him to turn around.
I do not think he was expecting this one bit! (Neither was Noah, it seems!) My own calculations and a super generous employee discount offer from Adam's Auntie Jen Jen meant we ordered the set a week before Adam's birthday and then got to giggle over his excitement at receiving this highly coveted present on his actual birthday! What a fun surprise!
Of course he set straight to work and two days later, the Ninjago City was complete. One week later and it's still all he wants to play with from morning until night. I never once heard Adam get short with the helpful little hands that have been right by his side through the whole building process, and these three have had a lot of fun imagining all kinds of adventures ever since.
Even when entire portions of the city have been destroyed,
or attacked by Laney-zilla, he just says, "Oh well. I can build that again."
We headed over to IHOP for the birthday boy's one-on-one dinner with Mom and Dad. Nothing like some hot chocolate in July
and a pancake the size of your head to celebrate the day!
And all too soon, Adam's super fun and memorable 10th birthday was over. But not without a picture or two first!
Adam insisted that Laney join us.
More than anyone else in our family, Adam is so vocal about his gratitude for everything, especially for "Laney, and for our family, and for his LEGOs and just for everything." He regularly, probably daily says, "Than you so much for buying Laney for our family. She's just so cute and I just love her so much!"
Adam is my super helpful big boy. I was finishing a good book recently and Adam took over making breakfast- and it was delicious!
Adam is a hardworker. Whenever he hears the mower running, he ties on his shoes and asks if he can help get the job done.
A year or two ago I was mowing the lawn by myself and I suggested to Adam that some lemonade would taste really good right then. He agreed and hurried inside to make some cups for himself and his friends... and I chuckled to myself that he forgot his sweaty mom. Not this year. We took turns mowing a dozen rows or so of the lawn this week and while it was my turn to mow he went into the house, then came back out with two cups of ice water. My heart swelled to realize that he's growing up into such a thoughtful young man.
Adam is calm. He's chill. He's nice and he doesn't get worked up about much of anything. Boy what a difference from the fiery-eyed toddler he once was! He's fun to play with, he laughs easily, and he doesn't make a big deal out of little things.
This is how I want to remember 10-year-old Adam- he always, and I mean always holds the door open for me when we get back home. Sometimes I scold him for letting the bought air out or letting the flies in, but he always waits for me and holds the door for me.
We have a secret handshake that we do every night that involves two kisses- on the yips, just like he's always liked it. Someday I guessing he will stop asking me to give him a good one. :)
Whenever I leave the house Adam says, "bye Mommy! I love you! I'll wave to you from the window!" and he does.
When I tuck him into bed he says, "Good night Mommy! I love you! I'll see you in the morning!"
Of course, he's ten. He's getting a little smelly and he laughs when he farts and he sometimes forgets to put the toilet lid down, but all in all, he is one amazing, funny, smart and sweet boy to have in our family.
Happy double digits birthday Adam! Our family is extra happy and peaceful because you are in it!


No comments:
Post a Comment