Friday, November 19, 2021

This Girl is On the Run

 After ten weeks of training, two practice 5ks and a whole lot of laps around the track, Emma was definitely ready for her first race!  Technically her second, but she definitely ran more of this one than she did at the unforgettable Bubble Run about 5 years ago. And she did AMAZING!! 
But first a little side story.  When we signed up for GOTR, we didn't realize until after the fact that the big race was on a Sunday afternoon.  And not just any Sunday, stake conference Sunday.  It was a very full weekend and Emma was incredibly helpful on Sunday morning with getting everything gathered up and ready to head straight from the stake center to the race after conference.  And there was a lot to remember- a change of clothes and food for everyone as well as the signs that we whipped out on Sunday morning while eating breakfast and getting ready for church. 

So it should not have come as a surprise when, as we took turns changing in the van in the downtown Des Moines race parking lot- and I had all of the kids with me since Daddy was still at the church- that I pulled out, instead of my black running pants.... a black pencil skirt!  I had told Emma the pants were on my closet shelf and she put that item into the bag without a second thought.  

And my running shirt was nowhere to be found either.  I had intentionally left it in the car but it was definitely not there. 

After an initial freak out, since I'm not 100% refined just yet, I apologized to Emma, made it clear that it was not her fault, left the girls at the race, and headed back home- a 20 minute drive each way- to get my clothes, let the pup out (we opted not to bring her along, because despite my greatest hopes she is just not a chill dog in public), grab some extra food and head back to the race.  And we still made it back with plenty of time to spare.  But lesson learned- if you're going to run a race on a crazy Sunday afternoon, double check for the right clothes!  I had momentary visions of racing in my Sunday dress Disney marathon style, but it all worked out in the end. 
By the time the boys and I got back Daddy was there and we took a few pictures and did lots of warming up before heading over to the starting line.  It was such a nice day- we could have had either really good or really poor weather this first week of November, and it was just right!
Emma definitely had her game face on- she was ready to go!  The energy and excitement of race day is always a fun experience, and it was a pretty impressive crowd!
And we were off!  I must be getting old, because the cheering and support and signs and cowbells and cute dogs and waving people all along the route just made my heart happy.  And I got to spend 3.2 miles running and walking and laughing and singing and cheering and chatting with my best girl!
And thanks to Daddy's good route planning, we got to high five our best supporters three times!  I think next time they should all join us.  Because the fun and feeling of accomplishment as you race over that finish line are totally worth the hours of hard work!  
Way to go Emma Grace!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...