Me- Emma, you need to eat another bite of your spaghetti.
Her- I did!
Me- You need to eat another bite.
Her- I did!
Me- Great! Now eat one more bite.
Her- I did!
Jason- In addition to the bite you've already eaten, you need to eat another bite.
Her- Oh. Okay!
*****
Adam drew a picture of me and wrote my name-
*****
Leah had a total and complete meltdown last weekend- a real rarity for her that was clearly exhaustion and fatigue from long days at school and adjusting to life with a new baby and because sometimes you just need to let it all out- it all combined to create a perfect storm that she let out loud and long last night. It was so uncharacteristic of her, my heart just hurt for her. Some days life is just hard.
We went on our first family outing a few weeks back. We went to the library to do puzzles and play with trains and Legos and stock up on a new weeks worth of books. It was fun to be all together, just enjoying the moment. I want to be outside more, but it is so windy here all the time... I'm afraid winter is going to settle upon us before I get any more chances to really enjoy being outside.
Leah is a bit trickier because she is at school all day (a fact that still saddens my heart- I miss her! And I love having a chance to miss her!). Last week we took a trip to Pizza Hut so she could cash in her Book It coupon for a little pizza. She chatted happily the whole way there and back about school, her teacher and her friends. It was so fun for both of us.
I'm also getting a bit of me time here and there... I got my hair cut!
Boy did I need it!
Adam, it turns out, is very motivated by the chance to put a block into the jar, so this week we started stickers on the Thanksgiving turkey page. We haven't set a goal to reach just yet, but he is still just as motivated to earn a sticker, doing everything from staying in his bed all night to sweeping up the crumbs on the floor to helping Emma zip up her coat. He warmed my heart yesterday when he asked me if I could please give him one thousand chores to do so he could earn more stickers.
One night the kids were playing happily after dinner and I asked Jason if I could sneak off to take a bath- my favorite at-home self indulgence. I got into the tub and had just enough time to exhale before the kids found me. Adam scooped up bubbles and smashed them in his hands, Emma tried to climb in with me, and Leah pulled up a stool and read me "Five Minutes Peace", a picture book about a mama elephant that is looking to get some peace and quiet from her three crazy kids. The irony was not lost on me. After Jason shooed them all away, I had three minutes and 45 seconds of peace in the tub before Noah woke up, ready to eat.
******
I'm trying so hard to have one-on-one time with each of the kids as often as I can. It's a bit easier with Adam and Emma because they are home with me most of the time. Leah is a bit trickier because she is at school all day (a fact that still saddens my heart- I miss her! And I love having a chance to miss her!). Last week we took a trip to Pizza Hut so she could cash in her Book It coupon for a little pizza. She chatted happily the whole way there and back about school, her teacher and her friends. It was so fun for both of us.
I'm also getting a bit of me time here and there... I got my hair cut!
Boy did I need it!
*****
In an effort to increase cooperation and reduce yelling and nagging around here, I created the family good helper jar. The kids got to put blocks into the jar whenever I caught them being good, and after just three days they earned the "best family night ever" which included scoops of marshmallow fluff and intense sword fighting competitions on the Wii, nail painting and lots of popcorn.Adam, it turns out, is very motivated by the chance to put a block into the jar, so this week we started stickers on the Thanksgiving turkey page. We haven't set a goal to reach just yet, but he is still just as motivated to earn a sticker, doing everything from staying in his bed all night to sweeping up the crumbs on the floor to helping Emma zip up her coat. He warmed my heart yesterday when he asked me if I could please give him one thousand chores to do so he could earn more stickers.
*****
We had a picnic in the office last week. Boy did my kids think that was fun.One night the kids were playing happily after dinner and I asked Jason if I could sneak off to take a bath- my favorite at-home self indulgence. I got into the tub and had just enough time to exhale before the kids found me. Adam scooped up bubbles and smashed them in his hands, Emma tried to climb in with me, and Leah pulled up a stool and read me "Five Minutes Peace", a picture book about a mama elephant that is looking to get some peace and quiet from her three crazy kids. The irony was not lost on me. After Jason shooed them all away, I had three minutes and 45 seconds of peace in the tub before Noah woke up, ready to eat.
*****
At 6 weeks, I have yet to receive a real smile from Noah. Adam asked to hold him today, and when he did, Noah locked eyes with him and gave him the sweetest, most intentional and sincere smile I've ever seen. Even if it wasn't directed at me, it still completely melted my heart.
No comments:
Post a Comment