Sunday, February 9, 2014

Someday I'll Laugh...


I don't know that I've emphasized enough on the blog lately about how completely adorable two-and-a-half-year-old Emma is.  She says the most hilarious things, is completely confident in her ability to do whatever she pleases, and has so, so much love for her family.  I often look at her and am completely shocked at what a delightful little lady she is becoming.  Like all of my kids, she is growing up way too fast.

Emma decided to start potty training last week.  One day she woke up, set up the potty chair, climbed on up and did her business.  So we pulled out some undies and started revving up the books, encouragement, and rewards.  The day went rather well.  No accidents, which was a small miracle considering she napped in the car- in undies- for three hours.

The second day... she declared 'I'm peeing!' Only the pee was really poop and it was already in her beloved My Little Pony panties.... Which I discovered after I got a handful of it while holding Noah in the dark because the power was out in half of our house.  The half that controls the furnace, the kitchen appliances, the internet and the bathroom lights.

So instead of spending the morning diligently watching Emma for signs of needing to use the potty, I spent the morning running around looking for the right size batteries to put in our fireplace to keep us warm (since it's a balmy -21 degrees outside on any given day in this never ending winter), juggling a sick-and-not-at-all-happy-about-it-Noah on my hip and making small talk with Will and Adam.  Not my Adam, the worker Adam, who was here to fix up some issues in our house and who answers me when I say, 'Adam, honey, come eat your lunch'.

It gets a little awkward.

And instead of eating leftover soup warmed up in the microwave I was forced to eat cold brownie mallow bars, which I then felt obligated to share with the kind workers that didn't seem at all interested in heading back out into the aforementioned arctic tundra.  I was, however, so grateful that they were here because they immediately jumped up and ran to the garage to check the breakers and started making phone calls to figure out why the power went out.  They do take good care of me and my little house, so I was happy to share my brownies with them.  And I am grateful (occasionally) to live on a street that is still filled with construction workers and their vehicles because I know that they can solve just about any problems I have.  Except maybe for the poopy panties in the dark problem.  And now I'm going to wash my hands again.

So, are we potty training?  Is it horrible to admit that I really, really, really don't want to be potty training right now?  Yes, it is rewarding for her and easier (in theory) for me, but I really don't feel like I can devote myself to potty training right now.  It's freezing cold outside, which is a completely lame excuse, but I hate the thought of dealing with wet pants in subzero temperatures.  Which should mean that we are staying in more, which would make it easier to focus on getting to the potty on time, but we have a new little fellow around here that is extremely demanding of his mother's time.  And while I love the excitement that comes with potty training, my time is hardly my own to dedicate to such a task right now.  And, if we're being completely honest with all parties involved, after the initial thrill of wearing panties was replaced with the confusion and mild disgust of feeling wet and poopy without her diaper on, Emma was perfectly fine to put a diaper back on.  So I'd say no, we're not potty training just yet.  We're getting close, but I know the process is long and if we're not both in it to win it, we'll just shelf it for now.

Emma was completely adorable and thrilled to watch her undies drying.  She refused to get dressed until they were out.
And, because I've mortified her brother and sister in the same way on this blog, here is a proud portrait of Emma's first pee in the potty.  Yay!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...