Thursday, March 24, 2016

Spring Break in Iowa

After we got back from Chicago, we had a whole week of nothing stretched out ahead of us, and boy was it glorious.  We made a list of things we wanted to do during the week, all while trying our best to do nothing at all.  So we spent a lot of time hanging out in jammies, dancing to music, chasing each other around, making huge messes, playing with friends, and generally just enjoying not having to do much of anything.
Adam wanted to put together all of his Lego sets, a task that he set his mind to but kept getting distracted by all of the pieces.  I sat down with him one day and we worked for hours trying to reconstruct the police station.  I learned that day that Adam knows the function and origin of every single Lego piece in the box.  And there are thousands.  It was quite impressive, and while we didn't get very far with the police station, it was still fun to sit together and talk and work on something he loves so much.
All of the kids wanted to read, read and read some more, so we headed to the library one day and stocked up on as many books as we could carry.  That took care of an entire day.  I love that simple equations new books + eager readers = a quiet afternoon for me!  That evening Leah and I headed over to Orange Leaf to celebrate her passing off her latest math facts.
Emma was mostly happy to have so many playmates around to keep her company all week long,
and Noah kept us all scheduled by taking lengthy naps every afternoon.  He had a lot of catching up to do after our busy weekend in Chicago, and I didn't mind it one bit!
We took the kids to pie night at Village Inn one evening, which was so very exciting,  Jason and Adam went early one morning to get donuts for everyone (a first in this house).
I had some dental work done while Jason was home on Friday, and he and I had a date on Saturday night.  We had some delicious Indian food and talked and talked and talked about our family and our future.  It was so nice to sit and talk about the things that matter most with the one person who cares about all of it just as much as I do.  Although I do think our kids terrorized the babysitter a little bit, given that we got home at 9:45 and they were all still awake and scrambling to get into bed as we walked upstairs.  It was only okay with me because it was spring break.  I love having a schedule to work with most of the time, but this week of spring break was a perfectly lazy one, and we loved every minute of it!

1 comment:

beapinkal said...

Im excited for our spring break. We got lot of good plans too:) I'm mostly excited about the no waking up early and rushing to school part :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...