Saturday, May 28, 2016

Father Son Campout (by Jason)

A few weeks ago Adam and I went on our first Father-Son campout!  The forecast was calling for a pretty cold and possibly wet evening so I was a little worried about how he'd handle it.  I didn't want Adam to have a bad experience so I bought hand warmers and wool socks and I packed a ton of blankets.   
Adam had a blast.  He did a great job helping setup the tent (his job was pounding the stakes into some very soft ground).  and we had fun roasting hot dogs and making s'mores.
We set up our tent about 50 yards from a tire swing and rope bridge.  Adam must have crossed that rope bridge at least 20 times.  After it got dark we pulled out some games and played until we were both tired.  Then we crawled into our sleeping bags, covered ourselves in a big down blanket and went to sleep.  All night long I kept waking up and checking on Adam to make sure he wasn't too cold.  
Watching Adam wake up to the sound of a running stream and birds chirping the next morning was heart-warming.  He opened his eyes, smiled, and said, "I wish it sounded like this every time I woke up."  Adam and a group of 4 or 5 boys also tried for over an hour to get a fire going in our fire pit but everything was too wet.  Fortunately, there was a good fire just 50 yards away so everyone was warm despite the 38 degree temperature.  The day was filled with more fun exploring, hiking, helping with a service project, and learning to shoot a bow and arrow!
Adam even got an arrow to stick pretty close to the bulls-eye!  
I was so proud of Adam and we both had a blast.  On the way home Adam asked, "Dad, can we go camping every weekend?"  I think this is the start of a great tradition!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...