Emma, in the grocery store pointed to a man in a suit- Does that man work here?
Me- No, he's just a shopper, like us.
Emma- So then he's already married?
Me- Uhhh...??
*****
Me- Emma! I have a surprise for you!
(Dramatically pulls out a bag of Panera-style potato chips)
Emma- What are those?
M- Potato chips! Like the ones you like so much from Panera.
E- Those make you fat... You're going to get fat!
M- (consoles self by eating potato chips...)
*****
Emma, after learning that water in an empty stomach can be heard sloshing around- Mama! Shake me like a coconut!
(One of our favorite grocery store pasttimes)
Emma has decided that this character is terrifying-

And she calls him Hermit the Crab.
(When Leah was in first grade she had a similar fear of Elmo. Her guidance counselor showed the class a video of Elmo turning into a monster with sharper teeth and pointy horns when he got angry, and Leah had nightmares about it for weeks. The next time I was in the school she told me to tell Dr. Hood that that video was potentially quite scary for some little kids, which she thanked me for and smiled at Leah and told her she was quite right and would be more sensitive to it in the future.)
*****
Me- Okay, only the cutest people get waffles. So who gets a waffle?
Noah- Me!
*****
Noah, in tears- I want what Adam has!
M- You want a sucker?
N- Yeah, I want a sucker!!
(Hand him a sucker)
N, crying even harder- That's not a sucker, that's a lollipop!
*****
Adam (nearly in tears)- Who took my Lego balls and stuffed them into Zurg so that I can never play with them again??
Noah (waaay too eagerly)- Me!!
*****
Noah walked into my bathroom just as I was getting dressed.
N- Mommy, you're naked!
M- Yes, I'm getting dressed.
N-..... Do you sleep with your belly button on?
M- I do! Do you sleep with your belly button on?
N- No! I sleep with it under my shirt!
*****
Noah, with dreamy eyes as I'm tucking him into bed.
N- Mama, let's talk.
M- Okay, what do you want to talk about?
N- Let's talk about Morgan... (his favorite babysitter.... ha!)
*****
M- Today is Auntie Jen-Jen's baby shower!
L- Are we going?
E- No! We can't go. She lives in George Washington!
(Confusing her with the aunties that live in Washington state, Auntie Jen-Jen currently lives in Utah.)
(Confusing her with the aunties that live in Washington state, Auntie Jen-Jen currently lives in Utah.)
*****
Noah, digging through the trash- Mama! There is nothing wrong with this paper towel!
*****
Me, singing as we get ready for naps- We have to go upstairs, because naptime is the best time!!!
N- No it isn't! Disney World is the best time!
*****
Noah and I were in the car waiting for the animal shelter to open up.
M- They open in five minutes. Can we wait for five more minutes?
N- Let me see. (Counting on his fingers) One, two, three, four, five.... Oh no. Dat's a long time....
*****
One day I scooped Noah up and told him I wanted to put him in my pocket (which he always vehemently refuses to let me do). I wrapped him up with my cardigan instead and said, "See! You do fit in my pocket!"
A week later he looked at me with a twinkle in his eye and said, "Mama, remember that I really do fit in your pocket?"
*****
Always aware of what a tricky thing it is to be the third child and a little sister (because that's exactly what I am), one day I was telling Emma all of the great things about being a big sister and a little sister.
A few weeks later on the drive to preschool she confided in her friend, "Guess what? I'm a big sister and a little sister, and that's a pretty lucky thing!"
Always listening, those little ears...
Me, singing as we get ready for naps- We have to go upstairs, because naptime is the best time!!!
N- No it isn't! Disney World is the best time!
*****
Noah and I were in the car waiting for the animal shelter to open up.
M- They open in five minutes. Can we wait for five more minutes?
N- Let me see. (Counting on his fingers) One, two, three, four, five.... Oh no. Dat's a long time....
*****
One day I scooped Noah up and told him I wanted to put him in my pocket (which he always vehemently refuses to let me do). I wrapped him up with my cardigan instead and said, "See! You do fit in my pocket!"
A week later he looked at me with a twinkle in his eye and said, "Mama, remember that I really do fit in your pocket?"
*****
Always aware of what a tricky thing it is to be the third child and a little sister (because that's exactly what I am), one day I was telling Emma all of the great things about being a big sister and a little sister.
A few weeks later on the drive to preschool she confided in her friend, "Guess what? I'm a big sister and a little sister, and that's a pretty lucky thing!"
Always listening, those little ears...
No comments:
Post a Comment