We had a super exciting January, and are looking forward to fun visitors in just a few days, but for now, we're definitely thick into the middle of Groundhog Month.... every day feels the same. It's too cold to play, too dark to stay up, and too long until spring arrives. Definitely groundhog-like.
Let's see what we've been up to. These were not nearly as exciting as last year's groundhog meatloaf, but the kids still loved their pancakes on the actual day, and they all moaned to hear that the groundhog had, indeed, predicted six more weeks of winter.

Noah and I have been getting some good naps in. One day he woke up with a very bright handprint on his face.

And a few days later he woke up sick. Thankfully Jason had just returned from Puerto Rico and was able to drive him in his 4-wheel drive car through the snow on a Saturday to the standby clinic in Des Moines to learn that he had not only an ear infection but the beginnings of strep throat as well. Thank goodness for antibiotics and a clear scheduled that allowed for plenty of time to rest.

And thoughtful get well soon cards (it says I hope you get well soon. Super Noah to the rescue of his body!)

Jason has been gone for two of the last three weeks, and while he was gone we started a super indulgent and effective prize of watching a tiny bit of Mickey films in my bed at the end of the night. Since he's been back, we've been keeping up with the Olympics. It's fun to smoosh everyone together on our king sized bed and talk about the amazing athletes and wind down the day altogether.

My dad challenged everyone in our family to a weight loss competition, affectionately known in our house as the Fat Chair Challenge. There are no rules other than lose weight, and it's come at a timely mid-winter/post-cruise time. Jason and I are both doing it and having quite the go of more water, more veggies and fruits, more exercise, no baked goods, and better sleep. Even if we don't win a thing, it will be interesting to see where the scale takes us at the end of these two months. I've learned a lot about myself already (like how much I enjoy my mid-afternoon treat! and how much I don't enjoy homemade salad!) and will have to follow up on here when it's over.
I have allowed myself a treat of the week. Last week the kids and I picked out six different kinds of locally made ice cream cookie sandwiches and taste tested each one, rating them on smell, texture, flavor, and aftertaste. Not surprisingly, the double chocolate cookie won the most votes.
And other than that, we just keep on keeping on. Trying to stay warm, trudging off to school, and dreaming about days to come. Right now I'm dreaming about green grass and late summer nights. Soon enough!
No comments:
Post a Comment