Friday, August 17, 2018

Growing Up

 
We had some friends over last week that closely resemble what our family looked like about 4 years ago- lots of diapers, crumbs, dirty faces and tears.  

While all of that was once the norm in our house, it's just not like that anymore.

After they left I asked the kids if they remember that our family used to be like that. (Because I think they were all slightly annoyed by the noise level, destruction and overall chaos of the little ones.) 

Leah said, "Yeah, how are you still.... alive??"

(She of all of the kids has the very least interest in ever adding more babies to our family ever, most likely because she best remembers what life was like when her siblings were babies.

"Well," I said. "Eventually we stopped having babies and you all grew up."

And I know they're not all the the way UP yet, but these four buddies of mine sure have grown up a whole lot.  They are capable and helpful and interesting and kind and creative and thoughtful and more patient and even more clean than I once realized babies and toddlers and preschoolers could grow up to become.  

And just like the ones before it, I'm so grateful for this stage of life that we're in.  Where we can leave at any time without packing a diaper bag, changing a diaper, or searching for missing shoes or considering naptime (usually).  We can tell jokes and have conversations and play games together.  We can take votes about what we want to do and have conversations about important things like what really happened to the planet Pluto or what family vacation we want to take next.  

And thankfully I still get lots of hugs and snuggles, which I hope never changes.

No more babies here, but still a whole lot of growing and learning and fun. 

Just, less crumby fun.

Usually.

I loved this moment last week when I was reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory out loud to Emma and Noah and then Leah and Adam put down their books and came over to read with us.  Because some things, like a classic read-aloud and a still moment on the couch together never grow old. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...