Friday, August 6, 2021

Emma Grace is 10!

Double digits and boy was she ready for it!
Emma wanted a full scale celebration, starting with breakfast in bed!
For her friend party, she wanted candy and games and a donut cake!  What a tasty idea. 
She invited all of the girls from church that are around her age for an afternoon of fun!
It was a fancy, fun party!
This oyster with a real pearl inside was her favorite gift! What a treasure!
She also wanted a one-on-one celebration with her bestie Leah. 
At the mall!  First they painted, 
then they selected some fancy chocolates, 
then they shopped!
It was a giggle-filled, fun day!
For her birthday date with Mom and Dad Emma picked The Cheesecake Factory. 
Nothing quite like a grilled cheese tower and some strawberry lemonade to celebrate turning 10!
And our server surprised her with this- quite possibly the only real surprise of her birthday since she knew exactly what she wanted from beginning to end of this multi-day celebration. 
The photo booth at the mall wasn't working, so we just took a few pictures of our own before heading back home- to presents and the most thoughtful siblings! Everyone was excited to celebrate Emma!
Leah helped me with the birthday cake request- a Barbie cake! 
And she turned out quite beautiful with her ombre skirt and pearl bodice- especially when she was all lit up!  Notice she's even holding a candle to help celebrate the Birthday Girl!
Sweet, sweet Emma.  It was so fun celebrating you!  Emma is just one of a kind- sweet and silly and continues to know exactly what she wants in life and from those around her.  She is an amazing friend and a brave and kind young lady.  I took her with me to deliver dinner to a family that had been in a car accident and the grandmother, who was about the same height as Emma, with a big smile and broken English just patted Emma's cheeks and said, "I love you".  And Emma said to this stranger, without hesitation and filled with sincerity, "I love you, too." She genuinely loves. 
Emma's sweet face is still filled with freckles, her hair is getting thicker and longer by the day, and her glasses continue to be part of her signature look.  
She's curious about puberty and when it will "happen to her".  She's occasionally annoyed that I treat her like a 10-year-old, rather than like a 14-year-old, but I regale her often with stories of trying my whole life to catch up with my cool big sister and missing out on all that life had to offer me in my moment.  So, much to her dismay, she's not going to stake dances or getting a cell phone anytime soon.  On the flip side, I love the small moments of sweet baby Emma that I see here and there- the way she still lets me wrap her blanket around her head when I tuck her in at night, her sweet sleeping face when she's snuggled deep into her covers in the morning, and the way she hugs so tight and still fits in my arms and under my chin. 
Emma makes us all laugh!  She is full of imagination and is the best big sister- I love to hear her explain things to Noah and to watch them zip around the store like undercover agents in an attempt to amuse themselves while I'm shopping. She tries her best in school and is diligent in practicing the piano.  She's starting with a running club this fall, is a proud member of the school leadership committee, and is considering staring with the school orchestra program this year.  She has loved taking an art class over the summer and amazes me with some of the art that she creates. 

Emma has big ideas- she is curious about the wealth of our very generous and kind neighbors, and recently informed me that she would like to work to become a millionaire.  I suggested that she create something that people need, and in about 5 minutes she came up with the idea of underwear that is sewn into your pants.  Clever and practical!
We love you Emma Grace!  You keep our family filled with fun, laughter and love!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...