What felt like a rather large task last year has become a tradition that we looked forward to this time around- our weekend getaway to Nauvoo for the Iowa City (and this time joined by St Louis) coordinating council retreat. When we first met Elder and Sister Morgan they described themselves as having an enlarged capacity, and we continue to see just how true that, especially this packed weekend!
We started in the temple on Saturday afternoon, doing endowment and sealing work with the stake presidents, temple presidency, mission presidency, area presidency and all of their fabulous wives. At one point another stake president mentioned that they were sealed in 1982, and I blurted out, 'that's the year I was born!' We were among, if not the youngest people there, and while it is fantastic and humbling to be surrounded by such wise women and men, it's also occasionally hilarious to realize just how much younger we are than some of them!
After taking group pictures we enjoyed dinner with everyone- we sat with the Iowa City and Des Moines Mt. Pisgah stake presidents and wives- and entertainment by the young performing missionaries. They were incredible!
There are over 1,500 applicants for the 30 or so spots that these volunteers hold. They are the best of the best, and they taught us how to do the Virginia Reel!
They made it looks really fun, and really hard!
But they taught us quickly and everyone had a great time dancing like pioneers. I love dancing, and Jason held his own too! What fun memories to have with some of the most prominent church leaders in the Midwest. Here are Elder and Sister Morgan as the lead couple. You can see my hair flying as we went charging down the lane in the next group over.
After dinner and dancing we enjoyed a more relaxing fireside from a BYU professor about Joseph Smith: The Prophet, the Man, which I could have listened to for another hour. And then we all watched the BYU vs. Utah game- I think we lasted for about the first quarter before we headed over to our bed and breakfast- it was already after 10 and we had an early morning ahead of us! We stayed in the same place- the same room even- as last year, and it was just as lovely, if not quite as novel as last time. I think next year we'll at least try a different room.
Getting ready for breakfast for two- and it was much nicer than the continental breakfast that was offered before the meetings began. I know some day Jason and I will have all the getaways and uninterrupted conversation we want, but for now these moments are a real treat.
Sacrament meeting was wonderful- and very quiet with only adults present. There is nothing quite like watching a temple president bless the sacrament and having it passed to you by stake presidents. That was a sweet experience. After another presentation by Brother Bough, the BYU professor, on the early temple ceremonies (fascinating!), we split up- the men for their quarterly coordinating council meeting and the sisters for a tour of some of the locations in Nauvoo.
We visited the home of Sarah Granger Kimball,
where the work and vision for the Relief Society first formed
and the home of Lucy Mack Smith,
the mother of the Prophet Joseph- this was her bed-
And the sweetest part of the morning was spent in the Cultural Hall,
where we were treated to three vignettes by the young performing missionaries. Their music and love for the gospel brought such a strong Spirit into the room. I especially loved the young man in the middle of this picture, who had tears streaming down his face as he sang they hymns of the restoration with love and conviction.
After lunch we joined back up with our husbands and counseled altogether about the work of the church. I can't wait to see what the Lord has in store for the amazing Saints in Iowa! As expected, we came away from these meetings feeling inspired and excited to continue to serve the members of the Des Moines, Iowa stake.
And the kids had a good weekend, too! They stayed home this year, rather than staying with friends, and a young couple from our ward stayed with them. I think Laney did her dutiful job of barking at the strangers in the house with a vengeance, Leah did the lion's share of the work of taking care of everyone, and they all enjoyed plenty of screen time, game time, treats, and a nice relaxing weekend at home.
I got this sweet note from a sister in our ward after they went to church on Sunday-
Melanie, please let Leah know that I was very pleased, that she waved to me today in church. Yes you were missed, but your children did you proud.
It was a great weekend all around!

No comments:
Post a Comment