Monday, January 26, 2009

What's In A Name?


A few months ago I posted about Leah's clarification to her name when I called her a little chickidee. I thought it was cute. And at the time it was.

But it's still going on.

I can't call her anything without getting corrected- "No, it's Leah". Sometimes I play with her and say, "You mean you're not my little grilled cheese sandwich/ice cream cone/fluffy bunny?"

Leah (in all seriousness): No! It's me!

Other times I just want to call her something sweet, like tonight as I was tucking her into bed.

Me: Good night my little princess.

Her: No, it's Leah.

Me: Oh! Good night, my little Leah.

Her: No, it's LEAH!

Sheesh.

It's a little less Romeo and Juliet's "Oh, what's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other word would smell as sweet" and a little more John Proctor from the The Crucible's, "Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; leave me my name!"

Okay, okay, it's LEAH. Admittedly, I took great efforts to picking out that name when she was born. I'm glad she likes it.

4 comments:

The Tchongas said...

Ah that was so funny! She is such a smart little girl! and Leah IS a beautiful name! :)

hugsss

Unknown said...

Hah! I love the crucibles quote. Sounds pretty dramatic! Isn't funny how things that start out cute can turn to not cute with repeated use?

whitney said...

LOL! You have such a way w/words, Melanie. I love it. I especially enjoyed the quotes-they were a nice touch.

TD Quong said...

Gosh, I just think it's hilarious how little kids are about their names! How funny that she's so particular. But yes, it is a good thing that she likes her name!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...