Wednesday, March 20, 2013
Quick Takes
So... we're moving next week. This week we are just kind of hanging around. Enjoying the calm before the storm of next week hits. I've been organizing, sorting and purging, but in general, the stress of packing just isn't there. There is something very nice to be said about those magical men that are going to come and whisk away all of our stuff to Iowa for us.
We're moving into a 2 bedroom apartment. I am quite excited about this (she says naively before she's actually reminded what 1100 square feet looks and feels like when shared by 5 bodies). I'm thrilled to not have a big house to pick up, no unnecessary toys to step on, no flights of stairs to be running up and down 5 dozen times a day. It will be a nice respite from the regular life that we live. And then our new house will be done- two stories plus a basement- and I'll be back to cursing those stairs and "all" that square footage. First world problems, no?
Because of spring break, Leah's last day of kindergarten here is this Friday. Two more days with beloved Mrs. K. She tells me she gets butterflies in her tummy and in her throat when she thinks about moving. It is a huge deal to a little girl who has lived here since she was 2.
I hate remembering what is like to start every conversation with the "Hi! I'm Melanie and I'm new" line. It takes a long time to find friends, and while I'm feeling up to the adventure, a little voice in the back of my head keeps reminding me that it's not always a fun one. So I'm gearing up for that. When we moved to Indiana, we had half a dozen or so contacts- the friends from our newlywed days at BYU, the old mission companion, childhood friends from home wards, the parents of the friends we made in our first married ward.... even if we didn't know people directly, we knew OF people. So far, in Iowa, we have no one. No one we know, no one that knows of us. Turns out not a lot of people we know have connections to Iowa. None, actually. I'm hoping that will change once we get to church- the church makes the world very, very small.
Kind people keep asking me if I need any help getting ready to move. I appreciate that so much, especially the offer to have my kids over for a playdate, which is 10,000 times more fun for them than watching me try to work through my ever-lengthening to-do list. People also ask me if I'm feeling stressed out at all, and seem surprised when they see me out and about (instead of home packing boxes, I suppose). But this is the fun week! I've been out with my dear Relief Society presidency friends, out with a delightful handful of my fellow mommy friends, to playgroups, and I'm going out again tomorrow night- twice! We've got dinners and one-last-get-togethers to look forward to, and even a kid-free trip to the temple this weekend. One of the very slim silver linings of moving is that you have a fantastic excuse to see all of your friends one more time before you go. I love that. The good-byes stink, but nothing feels so final anymore with email, blogs, and Facebook (now if I could just get on it...) to keep us connected.
As for the house, I'm loving finally having an excuse to get rid of some of the things that we've been holding on to for way too long. Other things I'm having a hard time letting go of, like our awesome "Family Power" poster that included all of our 2012 family goals (pictured up there). But I'm excited to move forward, so I'm letting go of the past and looking forward to what the future has to bring. In so many ways.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I believe Rachel and Jeff Brown lived in Iowa for several years. You can find her over at her website Maybe Matilda. Good luck with your move!
Post a Comment