Thursday, September 5, 2013

Back to School

Leah started first grade a few weeks ago.  We closed on our house the day before school started, but didn't move in until that weekend.  As much as Jason wanted to spend the first night in the house on the floor, we opted for a good night's sleep in our beds.  The kids and I drove over to the house in the morning, parked the car and walked from there.  And we got there in time!
Her teacher is Mrs. Burk, and she has the fanciest classroom in the whole first grade.  School starts at 7:45 here, and I will probably never stop complaining about that.  We are just not early morning risers.  
It has been very fun walking/biking/scootering to school, though.  As we get to know more of the neighborhood kids, I imagine that Leah will be walking to and from school with friends before we know it (we are two blocks from the school- I love that I can see it from our front door).
 Leah's school has lockers outside of the classrooms- I love this "please stop taking pictures of me" smile.
Leah also lost her front tooth a few weeks back.  It got a huge gap and became super snaggly in the week leading up to the loss, and now she looks so grown up!   I love that pumpkin smile.
Adam started preschool this week!







He has really been looking forward to his chance to go to school, and he had absolutely no problem going and staying at preschool for the two and a half hours.  His class is Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings, and he told me all about his day when he got home yesterday (no surprise there- Adam is never at a loss for words).  His favorite part was the puzzles and the Lucky Charms that his teachers sent home (with a cute note- "We are so LUCKY to have you in our class!").  He got to be the weather helper on his first day and gets to be the snack helper next week.  He was politely cautious when we got to his classroom about what he could and couldn't do, and wanted to wait for direction from his teachers before touching anything.

He would probably even enjoy more preschool- many kids around here go to four- or five-day preschool- but I'm happy to have him gone a little and here a lot.  He is my energetic little buddy, and my heart was tugged constantly throughout the day yesterday as I realized that he will never be home with me all day every day again.  But I'm so proud of the sweet little boy that he continues to become, and I know that he is going to have a great time in school this year.  He isn't afraid to talk to anyone, and he makes people- especially me- smile with his sweet stories.
Preschool provides a bit of mommy-and-me time (for a few more weeks) for me and Emma.
Even though she is adamant that she should be going to preschool as well, and constantly asks about "my pee-kool? my pee-kool?", more often than not she is quite happy to sit near my side, playing with her dolls or flipping through books.  
And I think she quite enjoys the respite from her big brother and sister- it's always nice to have a chance to miss someone.  It makes them so much more delightful when they return home!
We have started going to a weekly toddler storytime at the library where she gets a nametag! and a hand stamp! 

I'm trying to soak up as much one-on-one time with her as I can before her little brother arrives and completely rocks her world.  

3 comments:

Bea said...

Lots of thoughts came to my mind:
- As i have said before, Leah is one of the most beautiful little girl i have ever seen! I will tell you this a few more times i know :) She will be such pretty and gorgeous young woman! Can Bence ask her out on a date when they turn 16? :)

- Adam is so big, and the fact that he loves talking and making friends makes me jealous:) Akos doesn't talk to anyone in his class. :)

Emma is so cute! I love her piggy tails. The library reminded me all the story time we went to in the ol' Provo library~ good ol' times:)

Bea said...

oh and I love your blue big door! I want one too~

- and school starts at 7:45??? I would die literally! Bence starts at 9:15 and i get up pretty early. We still have days when we have to rush because they just so slow getting ready!

Julia and Aaron said...

Yay for school and story time! How exciting for Adam to get to head to school for the first time. They all look so grown up.

Story time started here in Lafayette again and Riley and I are happy to be able to go again after a summer of trying to keep up with the big kids. Love all the posts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...