Our room has been a big question mark in my mind pretty much since we moved in, but since we were on a roll with bedrooms, I decided to give it another try and figure out some way to define this space a little better.
Very plain before, although that bench is fairly new, and we just bought the headboard last year. Imagine what this room looked like before that!
We have a king sized bed with enough room on either side for a nightstand, but not much else. The shape of our headboard has always stumped me as to what should go above the bed. It seems like a sunburst mirror was about our only choice- and there are already so many squares in the room, I didn't want to add anything else square. Because of the tray ceiling, which already has two layers of crown molding, I didn't want to do a wall treatment that would take away from the style of the ceiling, like a shiplap wall or even board and batten. So, after literally two years of looking for ideas on Pinterest and in other people's homes, I finally found something that I knew would work- panels that are framed out and painted a few shades darker than the rest of the room.
So lovely!
I love light and bright in all the rooms in our house, but this room really needed some dimension, plus we already have paint that is two shades darker than most of the house from the music room. All we needed to do was slap up some molding, paint, and call it good!
Adam has his daddy's happy-helper heart, and he helped me tape up the panels one evening.
And once the weekend came, Jason and I got to work.
The weather was nice that Saturday, so we had lots of neighborhood kids popping in and out of the house. We just put them to work, too.
The younger the child, the happier they are to help, it seems.
After the panels were all painted, it seemed a lot easier to envision what would go above the bed. And not too long later, I found it!
The mirror is a really cool stamped foil and glass tile piece, and it was on clearance. I like decorating spaces, but I really, really like a good deal. I love it when I get both! The curtains (that I bought three years ago) have the same silver circle pattern in them. Serendipity!
All in all, the room is feeling much more complete these days.
Before-
And after- those painted panels make such a nice difference, and Jason admires his handy work every time he walks into the room. It's so nice to walk into a room and feel like it's complete, rather than walking in and wondering when you're ever going to get around to it.
A panoramic view of the room today-
The view from the door-
It's really hard to get the angles and dimensions right in these pictures. There is definitely room for a plant or basket on either side of the bed (I found the most beautiful live fiddle fig the other day but left it behind due to the price tag), and another plant on the dresser, and possibly a rug, or some bigger night stands, but for now, I'm calling this room done. Because it's never really enough, right cupcake?
2 comments:
Melanie can you come on over - oh my goodness you are so full of inspiration right now, I can't even! This looks amazing. I am swooning over your home. You have done a magnificent job, I am SO impressed! xoxo ERIN
It looks great! I don't know why, but I have just not gotten any inspiration for much decorating in our house. I did so much in our last house and I just don't even know where to start in this one. Of course, in our last house I worked from home and only had one child who wasn't old enough to need to be taken to 5 places in a day or complete this project or do this homework, haha! I need help, because currently I don't have anything on my walls - not even one picture of my children!!
Post a Comment