Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Ode to Toast

I offer up pancakes with strawberries, waffles with syrup, 
cinnamon rolls, even pie. 
How about muffins, quiche, souffle?  
Is french toast something you would try?

Scrambled eggs! Omelette eggs! 
Hard boiled eggs! Or fried?
One time I made  a 'mufflette' egg- 
you gagged and we both nearly cried. 

Oatmeal!  Baked or quickly made up 
in the microwave?
It has to be quick!  It's time for school!
There's no time in the kitchen to slave. 

Eggo waffles?  Toaster Strudels?  
Jimmy Dean Breakfast wraps?
Nutrigrain bars, granola with yogurt, 
or maybe a cheese stick, perhaps?

Berries!  Raspberries?  Strawberries? 
Maybe blackberries or blue?
Bananas or oranges?
Cantaloupe? Melon?  
Does anything sound good to you??

But no, no, no, no. 
None of this will do. 
There's only one breakfast for this little champion, 
It's his most favorite thing to chew.

"Toast!  Toast!  Can I have toast!
It's my favorite thing to eat!
Toast!  Toast!  Can I have toast!
For any meal toast can't be beat!"

Overcooked, undercooked, cinnamon sugar, 
Extra butter or plain. 
As long as there is is toast on the menu, 
we all remain (mostly) sane.

Toast is crunchy, toast is warm, 
toast is really easy.
A day without toast makes this growing boy 
unusually uneasy.

Toast!  Toast! Toast! Toast! 
Toast for all who will eat it!
I throw up my hands, 
I have to give up!
Toast!  I can't seem to beat it!

One blink of an eye, half a loaf is gone, 
on the table there's nothing but crumbs.  
I blink again, and he's making more toast!
 Pop! More toast! Here it comes!

One slice in his mouth, one slice on the counter, 
He hops on his bike for school.
He rides away waving, toast clutched in his hand, 
And I'm shaking my head like a fool.  

I really don't know why I try so hard.
His palate is easy to please.
Just serve up some toast and he'll love you the most!
It really makes breakfast a breeze.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...