Saturday, September 12, 2015

A Napping House

It's 2:00 on Saturday afternoon, and half of the house is asleep.  The weather is turning colder, I can hear the neighborhood kids playing in the yard, and the big Iowa vs. Iowa State game is tonight.  But we're in the house for now.  Because it's fall, and Jason's work load is really heavy now, and will be until Thanksgiving.  And because Adam is one of sleeping babies.  He came home from kindergarten yesterday exclaiming, "I'm so tired!  I'm just so tired!"  And a few minutes later, I'm so cold!  I'm just so cold!"  And he's been feverish and napping ever since.
I think he is enjoying kindergarten.  Mrs. Johnson is strict and very down-to-business and goal-oriented (he gets to earn tickets for good behavior and redeem them for various activities), which is good for Adam's personality but exhausting for anyone at the end of a long week of trying to be on their best behavior.
I think we are all already looking forward to our week-long break from school next month when we get to go to Auntie Michelle's wedding and cousin Savanna's baptism.
Aren't they cute?  I'm so happy for Michelle. 
I have had horrible allergies for almost a month.  I've never had allergies before and I have a whole new level of empathy for people that suffer with them.  It has been horrible!  Restless sleep, itchy eyes, and an embarrassing amount of sneezing and sniffling every day.  Probably the worst side-effect is that I don't have any real taste for chocolate or sweets lately.  It is so sad!
I've been super busy with my new calling as well.  There are so many events, meetings, visits, and needs to take care of.  My favorite part is getting to know and serve so many different kinds of women at our church.  The hardest part is being away from my family, but those moments of absence definitely make my heart grow fonder!
Leah has been marching dutifully off to school each day as well.  Her third grade teacher Mrs. Keese is a delightful woman, and I can tell that she is challenging Leah's mind and creating a loving bond with her as well.  She wanted me to take this picture because she tied her shoes all by herself.  
3:05 is my favorite time of day because it's when Leah and Adam get home.  The house goes from silent and clean during naptime to a post-school whirlwind of backpacks, snacks, activities, and stories shared by everyone.  
School feels like it takes up so much of our days and our energy, we haven't been doing much else since school started.  I started up piano lessons again- this year I have two students- and we have our usual violin lessons, Activity Days, gymnastics, and piano practice.  It feels like just enough, at least for now.
We went to the temple in Omaha last weekend, and spent the day at the children's museum there.  It was loud and busy and so much fun.  
The weather has been beautiful, and we've been trying to enjoy the outdoors whenever possible, which doesn't feel like often enough.  
There just aren't enough hours in the day, but we're trying our best to embrace this season of the year and of life while we can. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...