The first year that we lived in Iowa (2013) was the year of the great polar vortex. By my memory we could not easily leave the house after Halloween. It was just too cold. This year has been lovely in comparison, with weather in the 30s and 40s for weeks after Halloween. But winter has reminded us that it's not too far off with our first beautiful snowfall landing a week before Thanksgiving.
Not that anyone minded! Everyone bundled up and headed out to play- some of us for longer than others. Leah and Adam are pros and getting their own snow gear on and off thanks to mandatory outside recess at school if the weather is above zero degrees. Emma and Noah are still learning. And I always love taking pictures of snow-tortured children.
She really did like it-
This one did too.
The first snowy day was full of sledding and snowballs, and the second day we went out to throw huge chunks of ice into the frozen pond,
decorate a snow fort,
and build a snowman.
I lasted quite a bit longer the second day, too.
(I am always the self-designated hot cocoa maker, so I can't stay out for too long!)
Noah loved munching on the ice- free snacks all over the place!
At one point Emma hurried over to Noah and said,
"Come on buddy! I can help you get back home."
So I guess winter is really on it's way-
and it's definitely time to take the frozen vinca and snowy, uncarved pumpkins off the porch!
No comments:
Post a Comment