Monday, February 8, 2016

Just January

Boy, I thought January would never end.  It always seems like the longest month to me, with no holidays, lots of work travel for Jason, and enough cold to keep us hidden in the house nearly all month long.  But we still managed to pack in plenty of fun this month, and I don't want to forget the little moments that made up our month.

Starting with this fun little month-long event.  I planted 8 paper white lily bulbs and we watched them grow over the course of a few weeks.
They shot up so fast.  We measured them each day, and the shoots were growing an inch a day.
  There were times when I would turn around and I swear I could see the leaves rustling.  Some funny kid added the fly. 
They started blooming before long.  Paperwhites are very pungent, and we never really got used to the soggy diaper smell they produce.  But they sure were beautiful!
And now I've got a bowl full of greens and no idea what to do with them.  But I have dreamed about the warmth and life of flowers blooming in the spring more than once this month, so for now I'm happy to keep a bit of life growing inside our home.
There was lots and and lots of reading and snuggling this month.  There always is, and I love it.



These kids make me smile with their fun and games and love.   
Of course, once in awhile we have to break out the fighting shirt, but that seems to bring on the smiles, too.  (Don't worry kids, when I was little my parents made us stand facing each other toes-to-toes and nose-to-nose and look at each other until we like each other, and we all turned out just fine.)
Noah really needs a haircut, or a good accessory or two.

There were so many rounds of Hullabaloo.  So, so many rounds. 
 Lots more snuggling up (Emma and I fight for that blanket every day!) 
 The kids declared their Martin Luther King Day holiday from school Perler Day 2016.  
And we did a whole bunch of puzzles.  Jason and I morphed into the 80 year old versions of ourselves and stayed up late for two nights to finish this one while listening to Gospel Solutions for Families podcasts on the Mormon Radio Channel (which I highly recommend).
That turned into the night of the Great Mouse Hunt, as one scurried out from behind our couch.  Jason tried to catch it with a bowl and a broom (which totally reminds me of that one time he tried to kill a moth with a pillow and ended up shattering the light fixture above our bed instead) but the darn mouse escaped to the basement.  We spent the next day cleaning out the basement, setting traps, and basically living in fear of it popping out again (well, I did anyway).  By the next day the mouse was caught and we haven't seen any traces of relatives since.  Yuck.

Mr. Noah has been battling a nasty cough that has kept both of us for too many days and nights.
It's made for some sweet snuggling though. 
The girls joined Adam in his Tuesday nights at the gym.  
It's been fun and challenging for both of them.
 We did a bit of sewing, 
and a whole lot of baking.  Apparently when it's 3 degrees outside I need a steady flow of chocolate chip cookies coming out of the oven to avoid turning into a popsicle.
 There was knitting, 
 and more puzzling (with a monkey!),
 and helping in the kitchen.  
It was a long month, but a great one.  And we only suffered form a little bit of crazy cabin fever!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...