To a friend who has six children, including six-month-old twins, that invited Emma over for an afternoon so I could have a moment of quiet in my house-
E- Your house is really messy.
Friend- Yes, this is what houses look like when you have babies. Does your house ever look like this?
E- No, my house is spotless. Sometimes we make a mess... but then we clean it up before we go to bed.
*****
Driving in the car with her favorite preschool friend, as reported by the friend's mother-E- I like you, Little Leah (our name for the friend, so as not to confuse her with our Leah)
LL- I like you, too.
E- I really like you.... even though I'm not always nice to you.
*****
Still in the car, my friend (the mother) tried to explain to Emma that I was running late getting home from Noah's ear doctor appointment and so she would need to stay at their house for a few extra minutes. F- But just a few minutes. Your mom should be back soon.
E- Or maybe my mom will get into a car crash and die. Then I could stay at your house for a long, long time.
*****
Still in the car-E- I'm going to play at your house Little Leah! And if I leave anything behind, you can just mail it back to me. (Little Leah lives 6 doors down from us...)
*****
Mommy! I can't wear that dress! It would make me look just dreadful!
*****
Mommy! I can't wear that dress! It would make me look just dreadful!
*****
Mommy, what if you had blue eyes and caramel hair and I had blue eyes and brown hair? Then I would be the mommy and you would be dead!
In her Valentines card to Gwamma- Dear Gwamma, I love you. I love you so much. Will you make me some fudge when you come to visit me? You make the best fudge in the whole wide world. I miss you and Roxy so much that it makes me want to cry. Please come visit me. I love you. Love, Emma.
*****
Emma tiptoed downstairs after bedtime a few nights ago, and she sat on my lap while we looked at pictures of her as a baby. What seems like forever ago wasn't that long ago at all... She loved the pictures of her tiny self. She said, "Awwwww, I just can't resist all of this cuteness! I'm almost going to cry tears... tears of greatness."
*****
Emma is all about highs and lows. Either I'm the best mommy in the whole wide universe, or I'm the worst mommy she's ever had EVER. She love love loves me, or she doesn't like me at all today. It's the best day ever, or the worst day she's ever had. She's happy and bouncing and skipping and singing (either word for word every song from Beauty and the Beast the musical or Taylor Swift with some serious gusto, every lyric just right) or she's sulking and pouting and glaring. I'm pretty sure she's exactly what my mother wished I would have some 29 years ago.... and I just love her to pieces. (Thankfully, I kind of know how to deal with her, too. I've got a few years experience.)

1 comment:
hahahaha- love that girl! Loved her honest comments about her clean house! ;)
She is like Akos about being up or down. Sometimes i'm the best mom and he is the luckiest kid on the planet and the next day he can be pretty mean :) Kids i guess right? Still love them:)
Post a Comment