Thursday, April 8, 2010

School's In Session

We had an impromptu lesson on the solar system this morning. Planets are quite a concept to teach to a 3-year old and an 8-month old!
Adam struggled a bit, as he's still working on basic phrases like "Wooshee-ga ga", but Leah soaked up as much information as I could give her. Like most kids, she is a little sponge, and learning "Sun-Mercury-Venus-Earth-Mars-Jupiter-Saturn-Uranus-Neptune-(and how do I explain what happened to)-Pluto" is just like learning the alphabet!
***
We were excited to give the silicon bug pan from Grandma M. another try, and this time it was a success! Letting Leah "help" in the kitchen is still a hit-or-miss endeavor, but she did a great job filling the pans. I just have to stand back, let her have at it and remind myself that just about everything is washable, replaceable, or just not that important. It's worth it to give Leah a chance to learn. And since everything was placed out of his reach, Adam was happy just to watch.
And as a sad little side note, that sticker on Leah's face was really sticky! She started pulling it off and her whole cheek was coming with it, so I reached over and gave it the Band-Aid treatment. Leah bawled for a minute or two, and I felt so bad! Maybe it would have been worth it to just let it fall off on it's own... but who knows how long that would take!

5 comments:

Crapos said...

You are such a good mom. I don't do so well on the "help in the kitchen" department.

Carolyn said...

You are such a great mother! I'd love to send Elyse over to your place for your lessons!

Julia and Aaron said...

You ARE a good mom, Melanie! I'm impressed. I have a hard time letting them make messes in the kitchen too. I try to think like you think though: messes are part of learning and can be cleaned up:).

Are you going to Joy School with Leah?

Maryle said...

Such good ideas! I need to start doing "school time" with my little ones.

Holly said...

Ha, wooshee gaga. I read Olivia and the Missing Toy to about 30 deaf kids this last week for a research project. Baby William. Classic.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...