Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Family Movie Night

We had a never-before-attempted-Family-Movie-Night-in-the-middle-of-the-week yesterday because Tangled came out on DVD... Truthfully, I don't think we've ever counted down to or celebrated or even bought a DVD when it first came out before.  Yesterday was probably the longest day of my life, trying to keep the kids occupied until 5:40 when Jason walked in the door and we could finally press play.

We spent the afternoon painting pictures so we could make our living room look like Rapunzel's tower.  Leah really put her heart into recreating the floating lanterns, boat, forest and tower.  And she had only seen the movie once- 4 months ago!  Now our living room looks like this, and I love it!
And the movie was every bit as enjoyable as we remembered.  I am always happy to expose Leah to independent-thinking, strong, likeable female characters, as opposed to the sniveling and whiny mermaid princesses that she otherwise adores. 


She's also discovered our collection of Calvin and Hobbes comic books.  They make for great conversation about what is real and ways to use your imagination, although most of the concepts fly right over her head.

And this picture just breaks my heart.  I have started pulling out the camera and taking a picture of Leah's best pouty or whiny or crying face, and it usually distracts her away from her emotions and gets her smiling again.  But not today.  She was very upset that I wouldn't give her another muffin.  I have to remember that, when someone else is the boss, life can be pretty tough.

These pictures are not sequential.  The smiling muffin-induced happiness picture came long before the sad muffin-denied picture of the evening.

I have to remind Leah often lately that when I say "no", it is not an invitation for her to whine or debate or throw a fit until I change my mind.  Of course, that means I have to be really careful about what I say no to, because I'm not dumb enough to think that these little power struggles over muffins or wearing clothes that match (see the above Calvin and Hobbes picture for today's ensemble) are the most significant thing we'll ever butt heads over. Although, wouldn't that be nice?

3 comments:

beapinkal said...

i love your livingroom. All the decor and all the little kids drawing as well. You are a such a great mom. As i was reading your post i realized AGAIN how much i miss hanging out with you. I remember when we just got together twice or even more times a week, walked to that little park and we let the kids play while we were talking. It was so fun. I miss every minute of it now!

beapinkal said...

oh and wanted to ask you where you get those little red and brown balls in that little vase thing. I need something cute for my livingroom.

Carolyn said...

We're also big Tangled fans in our house! I love the new artwork in the living room, it's great!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...