Blogging about our cruise has become something like unto savoring the box of Sees chocolates that I indulge in once or twice a year- I want to draw it out for as long as possible so I can enjoy every last morsel. Every time I sit down to blog about the cruise I get completely swept up in the magic of it all. I have dozens of memories and hundreds of pictures to sort through and sigh over- we really did that?! we really went there?! Ahhh... and each memory is like it's very own milk buttercream candy for me to savor, one at a time.
We spent one day in Nassau, the capital of the Bahamas. The day before the Bahamas I dropped our camera into the clear blue depths of the ocean, and we didn't buy a new camera until the day after the Bahamas, which left us with a pretty sad stock of digital memories in Nassau. Not that we did everything that the island had to offer. While most people spend the day on the island shopping, swimming with dolphins or scuba diving, our plans included a semi-submarine boat excursion then straight back to the boat to ride on the Aquaduck while the boat was empty! And it turned out to be a fantastic plan. It was H.O.T. on the island.
Between the heat and the choppy boat ride out to our semi-submarine, it didn't take long before I felt like this-
The island was beautiful- gorgeous homes and amazing scenery, but once we got down into the semi-submarine, it was all I could do to not lose it. I took a total of one picture with Jason's ipod-
That blurry thing floating above Adam's head is a sea turtle! The semi-submarine looked something like this-
and it gave those that were too little to scuba dive or snorkel a chance to check out the view under the sea. I think the kids enjoyed being down in the ocean and seeing fish, turtles, and (they swear) mermaids and sharks, but I'm not really sure. I was too busy breathing deeply through my nose to take much notice of anything around me.
Once we were back above the water we headed over to the shopping district, where we tried desperately to quickly find a few souvenirs without losing each other or getting pick-pocketed. It was so fascinating to see all of the children that were trying to earn some money for their families- and so hard to say no to all of them. What a different life to be living than that of the American tourist. We got a giant sea star and conch shell and two Christmas ornaments, one of which keeps me company every day along with some sand and shells from Castaway Cay and a gold dubloon from pirate night on the boat.
Leah fell in love with a shell-encrusted jewelry box, Adam picked out a pull-string wooden turtle, and I came home with a bracelet and maxi dress that I want to wear every day just so I can feel like I just stepped off of the island.
Jason's initial plan for Nassau was to wander around the city, taste the local cuisine, and learn about the culture (what he gets to do on on the trips he takes by himself). But with our 3 little ones to keep track of- and happy- he was the most eager to get back on the boat. Maybe one day we'll head to the Bahamas alone, but for this trip, one morning on the island was just enough for us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








No comments:
Post a Comment