I didn't make any conference crafts this time around. I still need to dig out the old ones, but for today the kids were perfectly content listening to conference while making perler bead creations. Except for Emma, who curled up next to me on the couch and fell fast asleep. She stayed that way for an hour after conference was over, despite the noise around her.
At dinner we talked about the stories we heard (I love that general authorities tell stories- they keep everyone's attention and teach the principles so well). Leah remembered the man whose truck caught on fire and the girl who got mashed potatoes thrown at her for standing up for her beliefs. Adam said he liked the story about the man who got lost while hiking at Delicate Arch in Moab- an especially interesting idea to him because we are going there this summer. I loved the principles of forgiveness, humility, repentance and kindness that these stories taught. Our prophet and apostles always seem to know just what I need to hear.
I want to feel the Spirit so strong in our house all of the time. Being together, listening to beautiful music and inspired speakers- this has been a wonderful conference weekend for our family.
I was fully bracing myself for the worst- last conference weekend I was just a few days away from giving birth to Noah. I worked way too hard on craft projects that no one cared about, the kids couldn't keep quiet, Jason and I couldn't stay awake... It was a pretty pathetic attempt at fully enjoying conference weekend.
And we still had plenty of tense moments this weekend- Jason received a bite from Emma that broke through his skin, Noah seemed to need a nap in the middle of every session (thank heaven for an iPhone and closed captioning!), and I still wonder if my kids understand that conference is about more than treats and crafts and everyone sitting down together to watch TV for two days. I think they're learning slowly. As each six months goes by and we look forward to conference again, they are learning what it's all about. We believe there is a living prophet of God on Earth today who guides us and teaches us. Listening to his words is something we all look forward to.
And I'm learning too- keep my expectations low and I'll enjoy myself a whole lot more!
And we still had plenty of tense moments this weekend- Jason received a bite from Emma that broke through his skin, Noah seemed to need a nap in the middle of every session (thank heaven for an iPhone and closed captioning!), and I still wonder if my kids understand that conference is about more than treats and crafts and everyone sitting down together to watch TV for two days. I think they're learning slowly. As each six months goes by and we look forward to conference again, they are learning what it's all about. We believe there is a living prophet of God on Earth today who guides us and teaches us. Listening to his words is something we all look forward to.
And I'm learning too- keep my expectations low and I'll enjoy myself a whole lot more!
No comments:
Post a Comment