Friday, April 24, 2015

Landscaping and Such

When we were making the decision to buy or build a house, many people told us that there were a lot of expenses that came with building a house that we needed to factor in to the real cost of a new home- window coverings and landscaping and such.  Of course we just waved our hands and said "yeah, yeah, yeah" and... yeah.  Nearly two whole years into homeownership, a sprinkler system, repaired deck and revamped heating and cooling system later (all the expenses that kept us from getting to it last year) we are finally getting ready to landscape!
These beautiful boxwoods make me happier than I can say.  I just love them.  We had boxwood plants at our luncheon at the Joseph Smith Memorial Building on our wedding day.  I wanted to line our front porch and walkway with them, but we get direct sunlight there and the plants would surely scorch away in such heat.  So these beauties (that a kind friend was getting rid of and offered to us) have found a very happy home on the shady side of our house.  The kids love them, and Emma and I have named them all, from Janice and Larry to Moses (the burning bush) and Frosty the Snowman.
We have big plans for borders, rock beds, garden beds, and more this summer.  And fire pits and patios next summer.  We're just waiting for the weather to get warm and stay warm so we can get going!
In the meantime, Jason stained the deck while I was in Kansas City (crazy man that he is) and the kids were sad that he didn't let them "help".  So I let them help me improve our garage stairs, and they were all pleased as punch to be wielding actual paint brushes.
And the stairs turned out great!
I also decided to take apart the shelves in our living room- they had extra wood that needed to be removed (in my opinion).  I had a great time hacking away at the wood, but laughed at myself when I told Jason, "I don't expect you to finish the job, but I'm not going to do it."
And he did it!  And did a great job!  They look so much better now.
And that is where we find ourselves in the thick of homeownership- always another project to be done!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...