After weeks of trying and failing and learning and crying and promising and encouraging and praying, the third time was a charm for Emma's latest list of spelling words.
We were both overjoyed when she conquered this mountain!
We have used word walls, recitation, writing the words on the chalkboard in the kitchen and on sheet after sheet of paper. Leah and Adam and Daddy have all helped her study, and I've tried to come up with as many tricks as possible to understand the words that just don't look anything like they sound, like 'any' and 'from' and 'about' and 'because' (which I don't think I could spell until at least junior high).
I tried explaining the bossy 'e' and the fact that every syllable has to have a vowel in it... and finally in the early hours of the morning the Spirit reminded me that she's only six! She needed a song to help her remember that last tricky word, and instantly a song was in my mind.
"A-F-T-E-R! A-F-T-E-R! A-F-T-E-R!
We'll get ice cream AFTER my test!"
And it worked! It was a tender mercy. She passed her test today with beautiful handwriting and flying colors.
I had the rare opportunity to walk home from school with her today, and we chatted about her success.
"Mommy, I was so nervous that I would never pass my test!"
"Why? You're smart and you're persistent. What else do you need?"
"Courage. I had to try again."
And with that true ringing in my ears, she sped off on her bike.
We celebrated with a long-anticipated date to Sweet Swirls, where she enjoyed her hard earned bowl of chocolate ice cream with Nutella, Kit-Kats and marshmallow cream on top!
I sure do love this girl and her persistence. Reading has not come easily to Emma, but she has never once quit. She tries and tries again, even when there are tears in her eyes and she "can't get the words to come out of my mouth quite right".
And she has learned and grown so much this year. My heart feels heavy when I think about how hard kindergarten is, and how much is expected of her, but it soars again when I see the tenacity in my spunky little Emma that keeps her trying her best, day after day.
And of course, she's right- she is one courageous little lady!
No comments:
Post a Comment