There was a time when I napped with Emma every day while baby Noah napped and the big kids were at school. It was the exact same routine every day. I loved it and it felt like it would never end.
We're back there again, when our afternoon routine is the exact same every day. Only this time around it's just me and my daytime buddy.
We finish up lunch.
We walk hand in hand up the stairs.
I turn on the fan and close the blinds. The door stays open.
We climb into my bed. I sleep on Daddy's side of the bed, and Noah giggles about stealing my side of the bed and my most comfy pillow.
We snuggle under the blue quilt to read a chapter or two of our book. Noah doesn't like that Emma always gets the "bedtime pick" but he always gets the "naptime pick" so it really is fair.
I start to fall asleep as we read, which means its time for us to both turn over onto our right side and take a snooze.
Noah announces that he needs to go to the bathroom, slides down the foot of the bed, and goes to the bathroom (This happens every. single. day.).
I don't always hear him come back into the bed, but after a quick minute or two (or 45) of shut eye, my eyes pop open, I see that he's fast asleep, and I realize that I have a few minutes of alone time in a quiet house before the big kids get home.
I sit up.
My left elbow cracks as I straighten my arms (every time).
I slide out of the bed, pick up my slippers, and silently sneak downstairs, avoiding the creakiest steps as I go in an attempt to keep Noah asleep for a few more minutes.
I pick up the water cup, my phone, and settle in at the computer.
Noah magically and immediately appears at the foot of the stairs. He looks like he is still asleep with his eyes open, but the invisible bond between us has apparently required that he get out of bed too.
I snuggle him up on the couch, where he promptly falls back asleep.
I sit down at the computer and type out a post just like this, relishing in the clean house and 32 minutes of quiet that I have before the afternoon excitement hits, while Noah finishes up his nap on the couch nearby.
And I smile and hope that these days never end.
No comments:
Post a Comment