Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Falling in Love in Fall

Quite possibly my favorite photo from our dating days.
Our 16-year "famiversary" came on a Sunday this year, so it felt rather uneventful and did not include ice cream.  Boo.

But we did retell the story of our first real encounter, in which I sauntered up to Jason at a ward FHE, batted my eyelashes and asked him to take a look at my broken car, and in response to my request he immediately jumped up (leaving whatever girl he was talking to behind on the couch) and headed out to take a look at the problem.  He fixed the problem, he fixed my car, and I took him out for ice cream.  

Our first date.

And we didn't have a great time.  Conversation was okay, feelings were okay, attraction was okay, but when we continued the date with a drive up the canyon (no kissing, pinky swear!) the sparks started to fly and it wasn't many more dates before Jason Morales was trying to kiss me ON THE LIPS (much to Leah's shock and disgust) and we were talking about some pretty serious life stuff- like getting married!

And every year when the air turns crisp I can remember the day in September 2003 when Jason frantically knocked on my apartment door, grabbed my hand to lead me out to the balcony and said, "Smell that!  Don't you just love the smell of the air in fall?"  

I have tried to make it perfectly clear that Jason was a dork when we met, and in the BEST way possible.  We talk about being cool and being "too cool" and Jason definitely falls into... neither category.  He is just a good, good guy.  The best I've ever known.  So I try to impress upon our kids, and my girls especially, that there is SO much value in dating someone that is nice and helpful and considerate and kind and thoughtful and selfless and smart and hardworking... rather than cool.

And recently Leah assured me that we are a perfect match.  After embarrassing her at middle school drop-off she said, "It's a good thing you married Daddy because you are both dorks!" 

And I took it as a compliment.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...