That's what we've dubbed October's general conference, and it was exactly what we needed because April's conference was the worst conference ever.
And we blame it 100% on Laney. She was a brand new pup in our home and we couldn't take one eye off of her to look at the broadcast before she was peeing in the house again. It was not very fun. Looking back we should have utilized the crate more to maintain our sanity a little better, but this time around Laney's behavior was a non-issue. She's growing up!
And so this time around we got to enjoy our traditional, mostly relaxing weekend at home, complete with puzzle,
treats,
activities from the conference store (shrinky dinks!)
and a whole lot of family snuggles.
I got to take my girls out to dinner before the women's session.
It was Emma's first time going with us! And of course, she made it extra fun!
Jason officially got to start his Practicing the Priesthood guys night with the boys (I just made that name up, but I think it's going to stick).
Jason officially got to start his Practicing the Priesthood guys night with the boys (I just made that name up, but I think it's going to stick).
They went geocaching at a nearby county marsh
and it sounds like they had an awesome time following directions and discovering the treasures that were hiding in the trees.
And they talked about how important it is to follow the promptings of the Spirit and to be ready to help people in need.
Between sessions of conference the next day we all went together to find another two hidden geocaches.
It's amazing to discover the treasures that are waiting for us if we know where to find them!
We played on the Lava Monster park.
and then headed home for the final session of conference. It always goes by too fast, and this one was exceptionally wonderful. Although I have realized that with every conference our hopes get a little higher and our disappointment is a little deeper when the temples are announced and there isn't one coming to Des Moines (yet!). After conference we mapped out all of the temples in the US and made some interesting discoveries about which states still don't have temples and how far away we really are geographically from the temple.
Attending the temple for us right now is a six-hour commitment, at the minimum. It requires planning and preparing and clearing the calendar, and while it isn't always fun, it's always worth it to take the time to be there. But it's also fun to dream about what it would be like to have a temple in Iowa, to be part of the building process and to take advantage of the blessings of the temple even more fully than we currently do.
On the way home from the womens session, where the temples were announced, I told my girls "If there was a temple in Des Moines I promise I would go every week!"
Leah said, "I would go twice a week before school!"
And Emma said, "I would go thrice every week!!"
And I'm recording that here because it's a promise we will keep if we ever get the chance!







No comments:
Post a Comment