I never want to forget- or let my kids forget- how much they love the baby sister, even before she's made her actual arrival. Leah prays every night to "bless the baby sister to be healthy and safe in Mommy's tummy." For Family Home Evening, Leah insists that she AND the baby sister will pick what song to sing.
Adam loves her more than I thought his barely-two-year-old mind or heart could conceive. He is always asking about her, pointing to her, giving her hugs. He likes to pretend he has the baby sister in HIS tummy, and always includes her when he is listing off the members of our family. In his little toddler way, he asks how she is doing and is always concerned about her safety and welfare. He likes to measure her with his toy tape measure.
Tonight I asked the kids- "What do you think my tummy will look like once the baby sister's not in there anymore?"
Leah responded first- "Not fat".
Well, let's hope she's right.
We went to the sibling class at the hospital today. The kids were far more interested in climbing the couches and pushing the bed buttons than they were in listening to the nurse tell them about baby safety. Not that I blame them- the class was geared toward older siblings and it focused a lot on how much they wouldn't like their new baby at first for all the attention they require.
I asked Leah if she remembers what life was like when it was just Mommy, Daddy, and Leah. She said, "Yep- it was kind of boring to not have a brother around."
Our kids love each other. There are plenty of hard moments during every day (like when Leah kicks at Adam because he won't give her a turn with the dustbuster or when he thunks her on the head with a train) but they really love each other in a way that just makes me so happy.
Moments like this video are why I will never regret giving my kids siblings. Adam wrote Leah a love note.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




3 comments:
I'm glad you guys got to go to that. It's so neat to be able to see the hospital and to be able to include the kids in some way.
Now that you mention it though, they really do focus on how much older siblings will be annoyed with the baby for taking so much attention and time away from them, but really I can't remember a moment since Riley has been born that the kids haven't been adoring little fans. I still have to tell them to give him space and leave him alone all the time. At the beginning, I kept saying to Eldon, "This has been really hard, but it wont last forever" and he would give me a quizzical look. Maybe it is an older kid thing?
So anyway, "Is today the day?:)" Just kidding! We're excited for you guys!
I love the idea of a sibling class! Such a fun thing! It's so great that the kids are so involved with the whole thing.
"To Leah, I love you" Does that kid get any cuter? Seriously? So, so, adorable!
Post a Comment