Thursday, November 1, 2012

A Boy Mom

We might be nearing the end of the year, but I've set a new resolution for myself.  I want to be a more rockin' boy mom.  I've seen a few too many pictures of Mr. Man in nail polish, glass slippers, and dresses lately.  I'm approaching this endeavor as I would any other goal- with a lot of prayer and a little Pinterest.  There are a few precious hours in the morning when I have the chance to be just a boy's mom, and I've resolved to turn that time into boy time.  Adam loves looking at books, playing on the computer, jumping off couches/beds/tables, and has gotten more and more into imagination play with his Buzz Lightyears and Little People.  He loves puzzles and Duplos and hide and seek.  He could care less about coloring or drawing, but he loves to play hidden picture games and talk about numbers.  He isn't aggressive at all, but there is a good bit of energy bubbling around inside him that needs the chance to come out every day.  He is always very happy and very tired after a good class at gymnastics.

So, where does all this information lead us?  I've only had a few mornings to get my act together, and haven't done any research yet, but we're off to a good start.

First up- war!  Knocking down soldiers with cannonballs.

Second up- parachutes!  Oh, the running up and down and up and down and up and down the stairs.  So, so fun.

My girls are pretty easy for my to figure out, but I'm determined to discover what it is that makes this little man tick.  Jason suggests a healthy round of wrestling or tackling (those two can spend a really, really long time trying to knock each other down).  With the weather turning cold, I'm really hoping for some solid indoor ideas to keep this guy engaged.

So, bloggy world, what works for you and your little boys?  I haven't had a chance to ask my friend Pinterest yet, but I'm guessing I'll get a few ideas there, too.

2 comments:

Rachael said...

What a brilliant plan. I was thinking the other day that I'm not nearly as good at being motivated to get down and play with the boys as I was with the girls (mostly we just read stories FOREVER).

We do a lot of trains and car races. And Lincoln Logs. The boys seem to be much more interested in manipulating toys rather than making up stories about them (Isaac never ever dresses up, and Little People are only used by both of them for zooming around and making noise).

I'm excited to read what other ideas you come up with! Please share. :-)

whitney said...

Oh, you are such a fun mom! Ezra was completely into blocks and trains at that age...well, at any age, really. He just turned 7 and got LOTS and LOTS of legos for his birthday.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...