I wrote this post over a year ago. At the time, it seemed so huge. Now, just an interesting peak into the past... and a good snapshot of life in the thick of graduate school and figuring out parenting.
First, a little history. For our 4th wedding anniversary, Jason and I left Leah with my parents and went to The Homestead Resort in Midway, Utah. We went out to dinner in town at a restaurant that had good reviews- The Spicy Lady. Despite our high expectations, the meal was awful. The service was poor, the food was bland, and it was a pretty expensive meal- by our student-budget standards anyway. When we walked out the door I thought of all the things we could have spent that $40 on instead of a sub-par meal. My parents had given us an anniversary basket that included peanut butter M&Ms and cheese crackers, which we enjoyed that night much more than the tasteless dinner we wasted our money on.
Fast forward to last week- we have started a new chore chart with Leah and Adam. If they do their daily responsibilities, they get a sticker, when the chart is filled up, we go on a fun family adventure. Simple. We wanted to start the incentive off with a bang, so we offered a trip to the movie theater for our first adventure. Today was the big day- we have been working for a few weeks now toward the goal and the day finally came. Thankfully a movie I was willing to take all three kids to- The Lion King- was playing. We made such a big deal out of this outing. A trip to the movie theater is something we have only done once or twice as a family EVER, and, again, it's a pretty expensive adventure- by our student-budget standards anyway.
But we had a great time- the movie was just as fun as it was the first time around (I can remember seeing it in theaters when I was a kid), the popcorn and M&Ms were tasty, and the kids all did really well in the theater. I loved watching Adam and especially Leah dance along to the music and laugh out loud at the funny, familiar parts. When the movie was over we explored the theater, went to the nearby playground and discovered a beautiful fountain. Then it was time to head home for bed, and the complaining started.
Leah tends to categorize things into "always" and "never"- as in, "You never take a nap with me anymore!" or "We always have to sit in preschool. Just sit, sit, sit" or, as it was today, "This was the worst day ever. We just had to work, work, work, and then just sit, sit, sit in the movie theater and it was so boring."
Well.
So much for the extra special fun family adventure. And to top it off, we got home, checked the receipt and realized that the movie cost WAY more money than we thought it would, thanks to the fancy 3D effects. So, I suddenly found myself in the same position I was in 3 years ago as I walked out of the Spicy Lady. What a waste of money! For that price, I could have BOUGHT the movie again- twice! I could have bought my kids winter boots! I could have made a payment toward one of the delightful medical bills that keep showing up in my mailbox! Or replaced the microwave that my husband tried to fix and broke instead.... or figured out how to get the check engine light in our car to shut off...
There are a few big THINGS that no one really blogs about- family feuds, marital struggles, and money are a few, and that's okay with me. I'm all for happy blogs- I love my blog because it reminds me of the happiness in my life, and I love reading other blogs because they are (usually) uplifting and inspiring. But the hard parts of life are still there- the fact that graduate school is expensive.... kids are ungrateful... Life isn't always easy. In fact, it rarely is easy.
But somehow, our needs are all met, and most of our wants, too. The Lord always provides for us, and I can't ignore that fact... even while I'm complaining and wishing I could just never want for anything. I have a healthy, beautiful family, a lovely house to enjoy while we're in graduate school, and a very, very hardworking husband. I have a testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ, and I rely on His Atonement every day to get me through the hardest moments that I can't get through on my own. And that is enough.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I battled an ungrateful attitude from a certain 8-year-old yesterday. She sooo wanted to go to the library yesterday and didn't get to because of her grumbling. I seriously think she may have gotten the point. It's only been a day, but she seems more willing to help out after finding there are consequences. I'll have to tell you about our fiasco...
Post a Comment