Saturday, November 24, 2012

The Best Thanksgiving Yet

This was our fourth Thanksgiving in Indiana.  The fourth year we have been on our own for Thanksgiving celebrations.  The first year, I was completely blindsided at how hard it was to be away from family during the holidays.  I have become a bit more adjusted to it as each year has gone by, and this year was, by far, the best Thanksgiving yet.  We had three close family friends over to share the day, and it was fantastic!  

The days leading up to the feast were packed with cooking, cleaning and crafting.  I had three eager helpers in the kitchen,

and Jason was willing to prepare the turkey while I directed from afar, breathing through my nose and trying to avoid eye contact with the 20 pounds of poultry flesh that was brining in a bucket in my kitchen.  I just could not bring myself to root around a dead bird's inner cavity or rub it down with oil before sticking it in the oven to roast (something he seemed to enjoy a leeetle too much as he said silly things like, "Ooh, you're tense" and "You guide me").  And after the fact, Jason was still kind enough to compliment me on a job well done with the bird.

But I did make the gravy!  

And the pies, veggies, rolls, drinks, and breakfast.  Everything else was generously contributed by our friends.  I cannot imagine having to make an entire Thanksgiving feast all by myself- I hope I never have to!  

I was excited to see how our living room would hold up with 20 people in it, and it was perfect!  As soon as our friends arrived, all of the kids sat right down at the table and started decorating their "tablecloth" with hand-traced turkeys, colorful leaves, and "Happy Thanksgiving" greetings.  I wish I had taken pictures of their artwork.  

But, as is generally the case when you're too busy having fun, I took all of two pictures of the actual event.  


We ate and talked and ate some more.  The kids ate quickly and then entertained themselves for hours upstairs and outside.  When they were winding down and ready for a break, we put a movie on so the adults could finish our game- a hilarious spin on "The Name Game" (think movies with charades).


All of our guests were so helpful in cleaning up the food, the toys, the tables and chairs, we barely had any extra work to do after they had all gone home.  It was the most delightful day.  And while we very much miss being with family at the holidays, this was just about the best substitute we could have asked for.

Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

DB said...

Thank you so much for a wonderful day! It was a lovely gathering!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...