Sunday, October 12, 2014

King Noah Is One

Another 365 days of newborn baby delight have come and gone.  From the day we brought him home from the hospital Noah has not at all been interested in slipping into his rightful place as Baby Number 4 in our family.  He has wailed, flailed, cried, cooed and eventually charmed his way to the top around here.  
Over the past year, all eyes, hands, and hearts have been on Noah.  I think that is why the kids started calling him King Noah.  He truly has been the boss.  That hasn't been a bad thing, it has just been an adjustment for all of us, as all additions to an already-existing family are.  Thankfully as the months have flown by he has become a more and more delightful king to be subject to.  
I have loved every nursing session (even the totally unnecessary middle-of-the-night ones).  I have loved every toothless and toothy grin he has flashed me.  I have even loved the way that Noah dissolves into a puddle of tears when anyone tries to take him away from his mama.  
He has been my boy right from the beginning, and I know that is going to change all too soon.  I'm loving every minute of it while I still can.

Noah is filled to the brim with sweet boy personality and curiosity and determination.  He is slowly conquering every square inch in his discovery of this house, and at my feet is his favorite location of all.
He claps his hands and grins with joy- he'll often stop in the middle of a nursing session, untangle his arms from mine and clap with determination and pure joy, then snuggle back in and settle down to sleep.
He stands up and pulls up and loves to walk around the house while holding my hands.  He climbs like a mountain goat.  If I can't find Noah in the house, chances are pretty good that he's bee-lined for the stairs and is making another ascent.  

Adam's birthday card for his brother just melts my heart.  He wrote it and cut it out himself.  My favorite part is the punctuation.  It's a very manly card- all facts, no fluff.
The kids were so excited to celebrate Noah's birthday- campaigning for weeks in advance for the perfect theme.  I finally told them I would make a cake and they could decorate it.  They agreed on jungle animals marching around a dirt mountain.
A part of me felt guilty for not staying up late and decorating an elaborate cake like I have for some birthdays in the past, but I really could not resist the pure love and excitement that the big kids had for helping with the celebration prep.
It was a group effort of love, and Noah knew exactly what to do with it.  
He happily smashed into the cake with no hesitation.  He already knew that the cake, like the world, is his for the conquering.  And he's off to a great start.
Happy first birthday, King Noah!  Our family is happier than ever because you are a part of us.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...