Wednesday, April 8, 2015

A New York Minute


My mom and sisters and I have been talking for years about taking a girls-only getaway.  I still don't know how the stars finally aligned, but in March we met up in New York City!  And we had so much fun.  My mom and Allison (my little sister by 13 years) have been there for a few years in a row now, and they were fantastic city guides for Heather (my older sister by nearly 4 years) and I.  Heather and I were both just a little overwhelmed by the huge city, but they did a great job of leading us to all of the best sights, shows, and samplings of all that New York had to offer.   The last time I was in NYC I was a junior in high school, and I appreciated the city in an entirely new way this time.  I've been poring over these pictures for almost a month now, and it's time to get them onto the blog.  Here are some of my top New York City moments, in no particular order.

10. Navigating the Subway

Heather was trying to "find a happy place".
We had several adventures in taxis, but we utilized the subway plenty as well.  It was a great place to see real New Yorkers- I loved listening to all of the musicians in the subway corridors and on the actual trains, and also getting on a train in one part of the city and popping out in a totally different world just a few minutes later.  Upper East Side to Chinatown, Canal Street to the Financial District, Times Square to Fifth Avenue.  It was amazing, and because the subway runs underground,  we never saw the change from one world to the next.  My least favorite part was swiping my darn subway ticket, which never agreed with me on the first or second swipe and totally stressed me out, and also the occasional creepy person we were on a train with.
"Show your true feelings about riding on the subway." 

9. The Metropolitan Museum of Art
This was the very last thing we did before we headed to the airport.  It was a rich, cultural experience, and of course I couldn't resist snapping a picture of the famous Jackson Pollock painting and texting it to Jason and the kids, along with a note that said, "I could to that in about five minutes" (a line from one of our favorite children's books.)

8.  Eating out
One of the best parts of our trip was eating at so many delicious restaurants.  Not only was the food amazing (and cooked and cleaned up by someone else!) but there was no rush anywhere.  We sat in the afternoon sunlight of Serendipity for nearly three hours and there was never a word of complaint or suggestion that we move along quicker ever.  Sitting down and eating so many leisurely meals was an absolutely treat.
All of the food was just so good. 
7.  The Empire State Building at night
We got there just in time,

and the view was incredible.
6.  The Statue of Liberty


The Statue of Liberty is amazing.  Even just from the security checkpoint, which is where Heather and I stayed when the wouldn't let us take our snacks up to the base.

6 and a 1/2 - Grand Central Station and St. Patrick's Cathedral

I loved this sign in St. Patrick's Cathedral.  It's how I feel about motherhood. 
5. Our hotel room
The view and the location were amazing- the first thing I said when we first walked in at midnight was "Our room is blinking".  We had a great room with a perfect view of Times Square and the ball that drops every New Year's Eve.  We didn't spend a ton of time in our room, but I especially loved fancy night.  First we dressed up for Aladdin,
then afterward we grabbed an entire cheesecake from Juniors, changed into our jammies and watched the world go by below.

4. Watching the shows 
There is nothing quite like a Broadway show, or the sight of the Rockettes doing their perfect kicks.
3. Ice skating in Central Park 

I almost didn't do this one, but I'm so glad my mom convinced me to!  Allison and I had a great time pretending we were the famous Olympic skaters Helfsga and Molski, with matching birds-of-paradise unitards.  She actually takes ice skating lessons at college, so mostly she escorted me around the rink, but it was so much fun.  Definitely a top New York moment. 

2. Being with Allison- she brings out the silly side of me.
 Being with Heather- I bring out the silly side in her.

Hee hee...

And being with my mom- she is an amazing trip planner and knows how to turn any trip into the adventure of a lifetime.
 1. Taking so many selfies- 

 We got really good at cramming ourselves into one camera screen together.  I guess we wanted to document that we were finally on a trip together!
And it was an amazing one! 
I didn't really expect to love New York City as much as I did.  Even while we were there I thought, "Too many people, too many buildings, too many lights and sounds and sights."  I occasionally longed for quiet corn fields and my small midwestern life.  But now, looking back on the trip, I think a little piece of my American heart has fallen in love with the city that never sleeps.  We had so much fun!  In our four days there we barely scratched the surface of all that New York City has to offer, and I'm looking forward to- someday- going back again.  My own girls were sad that I was going on a girls trip without them, and I promised them I was just going to check the city out for our future trip.  It might still be a decade or more away, but a girls trip to New York City is definitely going on our list!

2 comments:

beapinkal said...

I would love to take Nora there some day! Maybe we can meet up:) in about ten years? :) hehe

Rachael said...

Is it weird that I was totally freaking out about Sunday sur la grande jatte showing up in your Met photos? I thought it had been moved from Chicago before I had a chance to say goodbye. Apparently it's a study and my beloved painting is still at the Art Institute. Because, you know, that is the one thing to take away from this post. ;-) looks like soooo much fun!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...