Monday, December 18, 2017

The Giving Mother


I give glasses of milk 
and goodnight kisses,
Prayers for sweet dreams
and glimpses about future wishes.

Hairstyles and haircuts 
and fingernail clippings,
A quick move to clean up 
When spilled milk is dripping.

I give a lending ear 
and encouragement 
And helpful reminders 
about where lost things went.  

I give baths every week
(showers come at my insistence)
I give piano lessons and recorder tolerance,
Clarinet and violin assistance.

I give spelling practice quizzes and
math homework nudgings,
Project reminders and stern warnings
when slow bodies aren't budging.

I give cookies and snacks 
and lunchbox notes
Riddles to solve 
Or jokes that I wrote. 

I give breakfasts and lunches 
and so many dinners.
After games- hugs for the losers,
High fives for the winners.

I give consequences when bad choices are made
I give groceries after groceries after groceries
So the pantry stands stocked 
and ready for the raid.

I give boots every year 
because they keep growing up.
Encouragement with homework 
when they think they are stuck.

I give smiles and winks 
and reassuring hugs
I'm in charge of finding lost mittens
and killing scary bugs.

I give them rides to everywhere-
band, church, scouts, orchestra.
I'm always there to drop them off,
and there to pick them up.

I give up my sleep 
to calm their fears.
I give a piece of my heart 
when I wipe away their tears.

I give comfort and love,
Routine and familiar
When Daddy goes out of town,
I stay behind, so our days remain similar.

I give up my patience,
when the days are running long
and then I give up my pride,
when I tell them I was wrong.

I gave up control of my body,
so they had a place to grow.
And when they finished using it,
I was given a new, different body to show.

I gave up some old dreams,
that don't matter anymore.
The dream that I am living now
is the one of which I've always been sure.

I realize that someday 
I'll have to give them up
when they've grown and they're ready to 
give their childhood up.

They leave me every day,
but for now they still come home
Some day they'll leave for good,
They'll be off and ready to roam.

And I'll wonder if I gave enough,
just like I wonder that today.
If they'll remember that I yelled at them,
or that I tried to love and play and pray.

That I gave them all that I could
And that I never gave up.
That motherhood is so much more than I thought it would be
And that their love always refills- and overflows- my cup.


1 comment:

Carolyn said...

Melanie!! I'm in tears! Thank-you for sharing your talent. That was beautiful! What a wonderful mother!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...