I have continued to think about that list and the person that I'd like to become, and there's more to add to the list- there will always be more to add to the list.
At the end of a long day of watching kids and driving all over the Chicago suburbs, Jason said,
"Ooh! Let me take a picture of you in front of the sunset. Because he loves me.)
The effortless includer- this is the person that doesn't give a second thought to inviting others to join them- on a run, a trip to the store, or to a party. It is hard for me to just offer up myself to others- I don't think I'm all that interesting! So I have to think and analyze and practice and talk about my feelings until all of the life and fun is sucked out of it. And then what if they say no!? I have a horrible fear of "I just don't think I could handle that kind of rejection" a la George McFly. But I completely admire those who just include others. It's not a big deal. Repeat after me: it's NOT a big deal.
The generous giver- Similar to the gift-giver, this person is willing to share their stuff with others. In our home right now, we have lamps, baby clothes, a swing set, a grill, a treadmill, and a bed- with a trundle, for crying out loud- that we are borrowing from people that "just don't need it right now". Amazing! I heard once that you should never let someone borrow something that you ever hope to see again, and I hate to think that I have taken that too closely to heart. But for some, it's just stuff. Share and share alike.
And I'm trying with this one, really I am. When I was first pregnant with Leah, a kind friend offered me all of her maternity clothes, just because she wasn't using them at the time. I promised myself that I would always return the favor, and I have. My maternity clothes are loaned out right now, in fact!
The quick-to-forgive- This is a Christ-like attribute that 75% of the people in my home possess. I should get a clue, I know, but I am a horrible grudge holder! Depending on the degree of the offense, I subconsciously calculate the degree of my anger and the length of time before I forgive. This is subconscious, I promise! I am truly blessed in that I am surrounded by people that I love, friends and family that don't cross me (nor I them, I hope!) very often. But what amazes me is how quickly others can forgive and forget. Just the other day, I snapped at Leah and she left the room crying. 45 seconds later I found her on the couch. I apologized to her and gave her a hug and a kiss. And then she SMILED! She accepted my apology and just dropped it. Incredible. She gets that from her dad.
I like making this list- I admire so much in other people, but these are attributes that I want to develop, and putting them out there for the world to see gives me a sense of accountability. I don't know that I'll ever report on my successes ("Look at me! I'm the humblest person I know!") but hopefully those that are close to me will start to see a difference.
(For the rest of you that are reading my blog, we can be friends, too. But until you make yourself known, I'll never know who you are!)
3 comments:
Hi! I just re-discovered your blog. It was neat to read a bit about how your life is now! I didn't know you'd had another baby; congrats! That ear of popcorn is cool--I've never seen it before. Joy school sounds so familiar...seems like I remember my mom doing it. So many more thoughts that I already lost... Anyway, I'm following you. Love you!
Finally...something I'm wonderful at! lol. I'm officially a quick-forgiver. Unfortunately, my husband is not ;)
Thanks for listing these, it's giving me a great reason to recognize all the wonderful attributes in the people I know and love.
This made me laugh:
Depending on the degree of the offense, I subconsciously calculate the degree of my anger and the length of time before I forgive.
I do this too! Haha. You're great, Melanie!
Post a Comment